News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

This is what I made today. Goat vindaloo.

Usually I make qorma, which is my favorite curry, but this was a nice diversion. Weird to put wine in a curry. Crazy Portuguese!

I'm basically cooking pizza almost all day tomorrow for Lexa's party. We're going to figure out where to put almost 30 people in our little house. With board games. :P

So who's got something yummy to show off?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gtr2

I'll play or cook that is.

Done a few weeks ago on the smoker.  Fries were fresh cut and fried.   ;D

No gut shots  ;)

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

the3secondrule

not much to show yet, but I have a beef stew in the slow-cooker.
beef, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic herbs yaddda yadda. and then the special ingredient, a wee dram of whisky  ;D

usually I use a good red wine, a stout or a porter, but didn't have any in the house today. plenty of whisky though. it's raining out, so I don't plan on leaving the house

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

midwayfair

Quote from: gtr2 on July 05, 2013, 04:25:55 PM

Done a few weeks ago on the smoker.  Fries were fresh cut and fried.   ;D

No gut shots  ;)

Josh

Mmmmm, bbaaaaarbequee .....

Quote from: the3secondrule on July 05, 2013, 04:27:55 PM
not much to show yet, but I have a beef stew in the slow-cooker.
beef, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic herbs yaddda yadda. and then the special ingredient, a wee dram of whisky  ;D

usually I use a good red wine, a stout or a porter, but didn't have any in the house today. plenty of whisky though. it's raining out, so I don't plan on leaving the house

J

This is relevant to my interests. Really curious how it turns out. What kind of whisky did you use?

I make whiskey mustard sometimes:
5 oz mustard seeds, ground
1/2 cup honey
1/8 cup whiskey (I use JW red ... because cheap ...)
1/8 cup white vinegar
3 tbsp water
salt

jighead81

I put some Kale from the garden into some take-out Pho noodle broth. It was the shit

midwayfair

^ Is that beef sliced that thinly on the left, or pickled ginger?

I love East Asian soups! I've been making it a point to get one every time I see something new when we go to a Japanese, Korean, or Chinese restaurant.

das234

No gut shots  ;)

Josh

I usually go sauce free but man, I could dig into those babies.  Nicely done.  Gas, electric or bona fide charcoal smoker??

alanp

Crockpots are a great way to use gravy beef (and have no one bitch endlessly about the cheapness of the meat.) Add in as many sauces and spices as you have on hand, plus mixed vege, plus some Whitlock's Tomato Chutney... mmm.

No ketchup, though. I can't stand that violently acidic American stuff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM
This is what I made today. Goat vindaloo.

Usually I make qorma, which is my favorite curry, but this was a nice diversion. Weird to put wine in a curry. Crazy Portuguese!

I'm basically cooking pizza almost all day tomorrow for Lexa's party. We're going to figure out where to put almost 30 people in our little house. With board games. :P

So who's got something yummy to show off?

Goat Vindaloo?

Dave Lister approves

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

the3secondrule

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2013, 04:28:16 PM

This is relevant to my interests. Really curious how it turns out. What kind of whisky did you use?

I make whiskey mustard sometimes:
5 oz mustard seeds, ground
1/2 cup honey
1/8 cup whiskey (I use JW red ... because cheap ...)
1/8 cup white vinegar
3 tbsp water
salt

OH yeah, I need to try that mustard.

I just used some of the cheap "guzzling" scotch we have around the house. if it works out, I'll use a single malt next time...

My fiancee makes a really awesome grapefruit & whisky marmalade - and that definitely gets the good stuff. Cragganmore 10 yo (the sherry casked one) goes really well...
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jighead81

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2013, 04:46:26 PM
^ Is that beef sliced that thinly on the left, or pickled ginger?

I love East Asian soups! I've been making it a point to get one every time I see something new when we go to a Japanese, Korean, or Chinese restaurant.

Yeah, it's slliced "round eye", I think.  They cut it pretty thin, it cooks nice and tender when you pour the hot broth over it.  It's much better at the restaurant, but at home you can experiment with different stuff  ;D

stevie1556

The misses was working late the other night, so turkey dinosaurs, curly fries and spaghetti hoops! Generally I only cook proper food, everything from scratch, and as she can't really cook she will cook the frozen stuff, which I don't mind as I really enjoy cooking.

As we are expecting a 2 week summer now I think it will be a BBQ most days now, followed by lots of alcohol! Recently found I like JD, lemonade and lime. Extremely refreshing summer drink!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

gtr2

Quote from: das234 on July 05, 2013, 04:54:05 PM

No gut shots  ;)

Josh

I usually go sauce free but man, I could dig into those babies.  Nicely done.  Gas, electric or bona fide charcoal smoker??

Charcoal, Weber Smokey Mountain
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

DutchMF

We're planning on making some moussaka (mouse kaka?) tonight, pictures will follow!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"