News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

the single malt thread - whisky drinkers ahoy!

Started by the3secondrule, July 05, 2013, 11:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

[/quote]

I've never been a big bourbon fan - too sickly for me. but my experience is pretty much limited to the cheap stuff. is there a bourbon that bourbon snobs would recommend?

and you're spot on - whisky & more is where I get most of my tipples
[/quote]

Blantons. Amazing stuff. Has a little horsie on top :)

derevaun

Have yet to develop a taste for scotch; i still try on occasion. I prefer a good bourbon. I like Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Old Forester Birthday for drinking neat, though William Larue Weller is a worthwhile splurge, and Old Rip Van Winkle is near sublime for raised pinky sipping. They are both wheated bourbons, so are smooth like Makers Mark but worlds more balanced and multi-dimensional.

But a good cheap bourbon is a more meaningful find than an excellent expensive one. My personal faves are Very Old Barton and Old Forester, both in the 100 proof version. Not too hot to be sippin strenth, and no shame mixing with a decent cane-sugared cola.

alanp

I've often wanted to buy a bottle of Wild Turkey, purely because the disreputable Uncle Rogi from Julien May's Galactic Milieu drinks it (while his nephew's dynasty tries to get him to drink fancy crap like what they do.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

3sec, ask and ye shall receive... 16yo Lagavulin on special for $99 NZD at W&M, elsewhere $166 NZD... still a bit rich for my blood (and wallet), though :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on July 07, 2013, 11:11:38 PMelsewhere $166 NZD

Man, is there anything you guys DON'T get screwed on the shipping for?*

*Lamb chops?

pryde

I don't drink at all anymore but used to be a single malt fan.

I always liked Laphroaig 10 year. Wonderfully peaty.

On the other hand for American style I liked Templeton Rye whiskey. ah the good ole days

the3secondrule

Haha, yep I'm on that mailing list too.

That's a damn good price, & I'm very tempted.
Got a dentist bill to pay before I buy anymore bottles though

Quote from: alanp on July 07, 2013, 11:11:38 PM
3sec, ask and ye shall receive... 16yo Lagavulin on special for $99 NZD at W&M, elsewhere $166 NZD... still a bit rich for my blood (and wallet), though :)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

BraindeadAudio

Anything from Jim Mcewan.
Murray Mcdavid, Port Charlotte, Bruichladdich.

I love everything I have had from any of the lines, ultimate standouts being, PC6, 3D3, Ardbeg Mission Gold 17yr, Lagavulin Mission Gold, Clynelish 14yr, Black Arts, Legacy 2, to name a handful.

A great standby is the previously named, and rightfully regarded Lagavulin 16. Daily drinker when I managed a liquor store.

A few non peated greats were the Glenmorrangie Signet, 15, Finealta, and 12yr port.

I had a 5 finger glass of Lagavulin 30 yr, that was a 2 hour drink.

wstimson

I've got a bottle of 10 year Talisker a friend got me for my birthday last year that I'm enjoying. 
My regular faves are Macallan and Glenlivet.

Single malts are good... but spendy.  So I also like a fair amount of blended whiskey. 
Jamesons, Crown Royal, and Famous Grouse are usually in my pantry.  The Grouse is actually a really good blended scotch for the price.  It's very cheap and certainly not gonna be anyone's new favorite scotch, but for the money, it is an excellent blend, IMO.

mysticaxe

Single malt - I tend to bounce between Glenlivet 12 (or 15 or 18 when I'm feeling rich) and Balvenie Double Wood.

Bourbon - 4 Roses Small Batch is a great bourbon for about $30/bottle - not quite as "rude" as other cheap bouborns.  High West makes some very refined boubons and ryes for about the same price as a lower end single malt.  I plowed through a bottle of the double rye that I think I will have to replace.

diablochris6

Being that I live in Kentucky, bourbon can be found all around the area. My decently priced fave I Woodford Reserve, but you can get a good bang for your buck with Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, or Larceny.

Sometimes it is all about finding a cheap one that is good. My dad burned a hole in his wallet solely drinking Woodford, so he switched to Very Old Barton and swears that it isn't too far off from Makers.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

the3secondrule

The best lamb gets exported, so we are left with overpriced off cuts...

::)

Quote from: midwayfair on July 08, 2013, 01:06:07 AM
Quote from: alanp on July 07, 2013, 11:11:38 PMelsewhere $166 NZD

Man, is there anything you guys DON'T get screwed on the shipping for?*

*Lamb chops?
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Stomptown

Quote from: wolfingsworth on July 07, 2013, 06:15:46 AM
I guess that's my problem!+1 for the Pendleton. Although  Seagram's is more in my price range ;)

I can get Pendleton for about $25 in Oregon and last time I checked, it was about $35 in Washington!!! It's definitely easier to get liquor up there now but unfortunately the prices are a little out if control since the deregulation.

alanp

Grant's Whisky has a round glass, this year (last year was a three corner glass, to match the bottles.)

It holds NEARLY 330mL of beer. Not quite.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

electrosonic

I buy the 16yr lagavulin when I am feeling rich. Just noticed the 37 yr old lagavulin is available in these parts (western Canada) for just under  $3500 a bottle.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/368357

Andrew.