News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another dubious pedal building milestone

Started by das234, August 25, 2013, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

Well, I've hit another milestone in the world of pedal building.  I've botched my first enclosure drill job (thank you very much, Honeydripper).  Painstakingly measured, marked and drilled everything only to find my in and out jacks run right into the edge of the PCB.  So, who knows a good use for a 125B honeydripper enclosure that uses the same holes but a smaller board??

Stomptown

A lot of Jacob Kokura's Projects over at JMK are made for the 125B. I would take a look over there. Off hand I think the engineers thumb or Standard Fuzz would probably work, but the problem will be that most 125B layouts have the pots oriented 180 Degrees from those typically found in a 1590B layout (i.e. 3-2-1 instead of 1-2-3), which forces the PCB towards the middle of the enclosure. Hence, even if the PCB looks small it could potentially run into your jacks...

Edit: Have you considered using enclosed mono jacks (like the ones found in a lot of 1590A builds)? You may be able to fit them beneath the Honeydripper PCB and salvage this build. It seems like I've seen some folks doing this on their Stagefright Builds...

gordo

Plus, if you're using the washers on the outside it gives you a lot of room to push the holes back and still cover up your mistake.  Especially if you're using a drill press just get the bit spinning in the hole and GENTLY push against the bit to stretch it backwards.  I, um, speak from experience  ::)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

I laid out a project in CAD, drilled. painted ready to roll. Had the in/out jacks on the end of a 1590b, evrything checked out well in the CAD drawing. Not a chance were those jacks going to fit with the pcb in the way. Was able o salvage it by redrilling on the side and got some nice low profile snap in hole plugs from Mouser. They look like part of the design element and pedal functions fine. Any chance you can redrill the jack holes and make it work, the hole plugs work great and look good.

Saved, would have been fine if i didn't populate the board.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

ch1naski

Hole plugs.... Hmm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
one louder.

davent

Quote from: ch1naski on August 26, 2013, 12:47:41 AM
Hole plugs.... Hmm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mouser has a few brands, if i remember right, jack holes take the 3/8" size.

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/8602/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvSvAwuKVmiP%252b3Ci7i684FIVt7BMJ7lOcY%3d
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lincolnic

Quote from: jimilee on August 26, 2013, 01:28:09 AM
Test rig!!!!  ;D

This. I turned my first botched enclosure into my first test rig!

jkokura

Quote from: lincolnic on August 26, 2013, 04:57:50 AM
Quote from: jimilee on August 26, 2013, 01:28:09 AM
Test rig!!!!  ;D

This. I turned my first botched enclosure into my first test rig!

Dude... every botched enclosure becomes a test rig for me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Quote from: davent on August 25, 2013, 11:00:00 PM
I laid out a project in CAD, drilled. painted ready to roll. Had the in/out jacks on the end of a 1590b, evrything checked out well in the CAD drawing. Not a chance were those jacks going to fit with the pcb in the way. Was able o salvage it by redrilling on the side and got some nice low profile snap in hole plugs from Mouser. They look like part of the design element and pedal functions fine. Any chance you can redrill the jack holes and make it work, the hole plugs work great and look good.

Saved, would have been fine if i didn't populate the board.

dave

Dave, that is one seriously cool lookin' build! What is it?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

How do you know when an enclosure is "botched"? For me, it just means figuring out what else I can fit in there. :)

Are you sure your honey dripper isn't salvagable? You can file away some of the enclosure to reposition the jacks slightly.

Also: I used a botched Honey Dripper drill job for my Hamlet Delay prototype. If you put a washer on both sides of a pot, it'll fit in the hole for the rotary just fine.

das234

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I drilled those holes right smack in the center of the board so I don't think stretching the holes or switching jacks will fix it.  It's worth a second look though.

I have a Modified Ross Compressor (MoRC v2) in need of a home that would probably work.  It's got 2 knobs and a small toggle switch that could go where the 4 pos. hole is drilled.  I think I'll look into this also.

I already have a cigar box test rig that does the trick (for me) but that's a possibility too. 

I could drill a ton more holes in it (like swiss cheese) and use it as a tool to figure out where to put things on other projects - to avoid this problem in the future. 

Or- I could weld the holes shut, grind them flat and try again but I've never welded anything aluminum.   

So many options.  Or I could backburner it for now and get to fixing my Sea Urchin's pop or the non-functional delay mod on my Doombutter. 

davent

Quote from: DutchMF on August 26, 2013, 05:51:31 PM

Dave, that is one seriously cool lookin' build! What is it?

Paul

Thanks Paul, On an amp building forum i frequent a schematic was offered up to someone looking for an overdrive that would give them a tone reminiscent of Robben Ford, the name RFD was coined for it. What it turned out to be is a Zen Drive, it does get rave reviews on that forum as the best thing since sliced cheese but i'm just not an overdrive person so to me it's rather meh... or at the very least my build is meh in the tone department, i just haven't warmed to it at all. (Par for me and overdrives.)

dave