News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Balance other hobbies?

Started by selfdestroyer, July 15, 2013, 09:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Good stuff everyone.

Between guitar building, amp building, pedal building, my repair business and my "real" job as an occupational therapist I still manage to find time to cycle or run everyday. I guess exercise is more a lifestyle than hobby though.

I have to also give all the credit to my wife for supporting all my "endeavors". No way I get it all done without her full support. 

timbo_93631

I'm always busy with my pedals and amps after everyone's bedtime.  It is part of how I cope with the summer heat here in Fresno, to work from 10-midnight.   The wife and kids come first, then my ongoing work on my math degree, then pedals/amps.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

ThePastRecedes

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 16, 2013, 01:20:44 PM
My wife used to be into glassblowing, but that was before we got married.  She worries about me burning down the house with an unattended soldering iron, so I'm certain any firework is long behind us.

What part of Canada are you in?
Ottawa for now. I'll be moving to kingston in late august.
I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

GermanCdn

Nice, I've got a supplier in Trenton I go see a couple of times a year, next time I'm in the area, I'll let you know.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

madbean

I'm definitely a gamer but I don't spend much time gaming these days. I tend to buy stuff on Steam sales (usually I never spend more than $15 on a game) but I have a collection of unfinished ones waiting for me.

My next hobby is going to be drum making. I already have parts on order to make a 12x7 maple snare (something I've wanted forever).

mjcyates

I enjoy playing guitar, building pedals, golf, and food (cooking & eating)!

davent

Once the warm weather comes it's all about being outside and food... growing it, cooking it and eating it. Pedals? What pedals?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

ch1naski

I'm in with dutchmf, no time for either at the moment. Never in my life have I went days without playing. It's the job killing me slowly. I do, however, find I little time for circuits....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

jtn191

Quote from: madbean on July 16, 2013, 05:10:43 PM
I'm definitely a gamer but I don't spend much time gaming these days. I tend to buy stuff on Steam sales (usually I never spend more than $15 on a game) but I have a collection of unfinished ones waiting for me.

My next hobby is going to be drum making. I already have parts on order to make a 12x7 maple snare (something I've wanted forever).

My friend--who's a great big-band drummer--is into that and I think it's cool. Like the drummer's closest thing to diy pedals
https://www.facebook.com/ReclaimedPercussion

As for me, I've been more into fitness since January

jkokura

Quote from: ThePastRecedes on July 16, 2013, 02:32:20 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on July 16, 2013, 01:20:44 PM
My wife used to be into glassblowing, but that was before we got married.  She worries about me burning down the house with an unattended soldering iron, so I'm certain any firework is long behind us.

What part of Canada are you in?
Ottawa for now. I'll be moving to kingston in late august.

Mmm. Some of my childhood I lived in Gananoque. The Ottawa/Kingston Valley is some of the most beautiful part of Canada.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

Pedals, amps, BJJ, mountain biking, USPSA, beekeeping.

Balance? There isn't any. I obsess for periods of time on each one until I grow tired of it, and cycle to the next one in a never ending circle. All except for family, beekeeping and biking, they are my constants.
Pcbs no longer available

aballen

Balance?  I've never figured that out.

Guitar, playing and practicing(lots of sucking really)
Karting, racing and maintaining two 2cycle karts for me and my son
Pedal building, man can this one chew up some time
oh yeah, wife and two kids.
TV.. though I have less time for it lately, I do TiVo a few series
Exercise, which I don't seem to have time for at all

There just isn't enough time in the day for it all.  Sometimes I find myself obsessing over something new, which is not good, so I try to put boundaries on how much time something gets.

Priorities like family first usually sort themselves out, like, I want to build more pedals, I need to spend some time with the kids.  Or I can rebuild that clutch later, but I know in a few years by oldest will want to go to the drive in with the ladies, not me, better build those memories now.

Nookie or catch up on the Tudors, is that really even a question?  Ok, maybe for like two seconds

Inevitably I screw up priorities, but they do seem to straighten themselves out.

jimilee

It's a band 2 times a week for me, 2 kids at home still, and a wife with a hobby also it's takes a very understanding woman to deal with each of us. Congratulations gentlemen.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hoodoo

So you didn't start that "washing cats" for a hobby then Jimilee ;D

jimilee

Quote from: hoodoo on July 17, 2013, 04:09:56 PM
So you didn't start that "washing cats" for a hobby then Jimilee ;D
Nope, that's my monkey's hobby!   :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.