News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Original Mullard Tube?

Started by garfo, July 19, 2013, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

Hey guys, I've recently got some old NOS Tubes, I have now and Amperex buggle boy, a Philips Miniwatt a Telefunken ecc83, And now the last one, it's weird.
It is Supposed to be Mullard, it says Mullard on it, it says GT. Britain, it's labelled both as ecc83 and 12ax7A(which leads me to believe it is american market related).
Well, besides all that it is also witten in big White letters IEC.
I suppose IEC is the companny that sold these tubes and these were relabeled.
Yet, how do I tell this is trully Mullard British made and not a Russian made tube with Mullard written on it???

The codes that are visible are:1022-341, besides all of the rest that's written.
Here's some pics:

hammerheadmusicman

It is a halo getter, so that is a good sign, but as far as rebranding, do some research into NOS IEC valves, and where they were made, all of my Vintage Mullards say ECC83, and the codes are cmpletely different, having letters involved like 'B6D....' or something.

How does it sound in the first position of your amp, in mine a good old mullard cleans it right up and makes it much smoother and more articulate than modern valves. For example i have an EHX gold pin, and when i put that in V1 my Dr Z sound rubbish, breaks really early, and not a nice break either!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

garfo

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on July 19, 2013, 05:00:04 PM
It is a halo getter, so that is a good sign, but as far as rebranding, do some research into NOS IEC valves, and where they were made, all of my Vintage Mullards say ECC83, and the codes are cmpletely different, having letters involved like 'B6D....' or something.

How does it sound in the first position of your amp, in mine a good old mullard cleans it right up and makes it much smoother and more articulate than modern valves. For example i have an EHX gold pin, and when i put that in V1 my Dr Z sound rubbish, breaks really early, and not a nice break either!
I haven't got the time to test yet.I got it yesterday on my way to a Smashing Pumpkins gig in Portugal.The guy who sold me is an old guy that has always worked with old radios and tv's that are tube operated.This valve is for sure old,just not sure about where it was made.He got me a real Mullard long plate but it sounded a bit distorted on V1 of my combo so I decided to change with another one he had laying arround.
I think that this might have had other factory codes that have now been erased with time

hammerheadmusicman

Yeah that does happen, also, some sound really great, some not so great, even form the same batch! Depending on how 'discerning' your ears are..

I had the most wonderful sounding pair of 61 Mullard EL84's, they lasted a year or so, i thought i was going to cry when they died :(
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

frankie5fingers

The tilted halo getter, two crimps and the hole near the ribbed plate look Mullard.  Not sure about the uneven flashing though.  I can't see for certain if there's a seam along the top; is there?  With the rest, that'd be a good indicator.  That said, my experience with Mullards relabeled IEC has been mostly 12AT7 and 12AU7.  I'm no expert though, just have a pretty large Mullard collection.  What's the other writing you mention - anything like I61 or I63, or a 5 digit code starting with a letter?
Either way, the real question... how's it sound?

garfo

I'll be testing it out allong with the Telefunken this monday and I'll let You know.I'm convinced it will be surprising, in a good or bad way :))