News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Reaganator - A very patriotic Boneyard

Started by eldanko, July 18, 2013, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

I was reeeeeally hoping to have this done by the 4th of July. Just because.

Nevertheless, meet the Reaganator. Far from my best work, as I've had 2 (count em, two) printers die on me in the last few weeks, plus I'm currently in the process of moving (took the 20 ft U-Haul down on Monday... almost done). So it's sort of a miracle that I've gotten any builds at all done this month.

I've had this Boneyard prototype PCB sitting on my desk for almost 2 years now. I've also had this glorious picture of President Reagan riding a velociraptor with a bazooka strapped to his back sitting in my graphics folder for about that time. Thus, this abomination beautiful creation was born.

The Boneyard is an absolutely killer circuit. It honestly will turn my clean Fender Super Reverb into a JCM800 sonically. Blew me away. I was worried that the single tone control wouldn't be enough to harness that amount of gain, but it actually works really well as a nice filter for the highs as the gain is increased.

I had the squealing problem that several others have mentioned. Shielding all of the input/output wiring helped a bit, but moving the wires connected to the high gain switch had the most pronounced effect (hence the rather strange placement of those red wires). It's very quiet now, which is saying something given the amount of gain it produces.

I went ahead and entered this in the contest this month, since it's likely the only pedal that I'll be able to produce for the next few weeks. Perhaps I'll get some bonus points for using red white and blue wiring.  ;D

All of my amps have already been sent to Nashville, so this is the first demo that I've recorded using my digital setup. The signal chain is as follows:

'72 Telecaster / Reaganator / Axe FX II (Super Verb model) / Matrix GT800FX / Morgan 1x12 w/ASW Elegante / crappy camera mic / your speakers

Sorry for the shaky, out of focus camera and lack of production on the video. All of my usual equipment is packed away...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

spaceboss

That is sort of one of the best things I've ever seen, I think.  ;) ;D

For real. Is much cool.

J

jkokura

Yeah Dane. I always saw the connection between Reagan, Velociraptors, and Uzis. Glad you did too.

Oh, and it sounds awesome. Can't wait to build my Boneyard Deluxe soon. I have two boards, and I'm gonna be doing two different versions.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

I think your next build should  be called "Trickle-Down Mojonomics"  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

That's just awesome! I find that when riding a velociraptor, it is best to hold ol loosely but don't let go. What a great build.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

eldanko

Quote from: jimilee on July 18, 2013, 08:59:04 PM
I find that when riding a velociraptor, it is best to hold on loosely but don't let go.

:D

GermanCdn

Quote from: eldanko on July 18, 2013, 09:00:51 PM
I find that when riding a velociraptor, it is best to hold on loosely but don't let go.

:D

Between that and the washing the cat video, I'm beginning to think that Jimi's a full time stand up comedian.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Man, I dig this build.  Clean in the inside, but the graphic is what gets it.

Reaganator is good, VelociReagan would have worked, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

The only way this could be better is if he were somehow "trickling down" on the lower classes at the same time.

raulduke

Bret608

Well, as a child of the Reagan 80s, this is particularly fun! You could have even called it the Gipperaptor.

eldanko

So many good names. Seriously considering changing to Velocireagan. Has such a nice flow to it.

fendman

Well you guys are cowboys, and Reagan certainly was one. Jurasic Park well...Think you have it ALL THERE :P

das234

That's just awesome! I find that when riding a velociraptor, it is best to hold ol loosely but don't let go. What a great build.
Good advice.  If you cling too tightly you're gonna lose control.

Nice build too inside and out.