News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dilemma dilemma dilemma. Which guitar to choose?

Started by pandadandan, February 03, 2011, 10:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandadandan

It's the best kind of dilemma, but an agonising one.

I have started to sell every non-essential piece of musical equipment I own as I am saving money towards what you would call a "dream guitar."

I'm keeping the Hiwatt DR-103 and its cab, but all my synthesizers are going, as are all my guitars save for my trusty Greco Les Paul Custom w/Bill Lawrence pickups.  I'm even selling my old "dream guitar"; a US Fender Telecaster Plus Deluxe from 1991.  It was their flagship model at the time, so it's a bit of a rarity.

So once I have the $2200-2300 I need, I'll be placing my order for the guitar I've been coveting for the last five years of my life.

This:

Oh, but maybe this:

Or maybe this:

All of them would have pickups like the first picture.  All of them are functionally the same (constructed entirely of aluminium) but they look so different. 

Argh.

Oh and I can choose a neck length of anywhere between 25" and 32", which doesn't help matters (I tune to B standard in general).

What say you?  (Ill ignore your opinion when the time comes, but I want to hear anyway  ;D )

eniacmike

I like the first one the best. it looks the most styling. the middle one looks like it would get really dirty and look bad with sweat on it. the last one looks cool becuase of all the features and toggles but thats it.

night-B

Wow! They look amazing! Can you share links for this brand? I found good reviews of their vintage models. Actual models are made by greco-zemaitis? Is it aluminium on the neck too? Im afraid i'll never be able to order one in Europe... :-[

pandadandan

The all-aluminium ones don't look so bad grimed up at all.  They actually look nice a bit scuffed.

The black one is definitely slick.  Flat black powder coated understated hotness.
Here's the link:
http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

They're nothing like the Zermaitis models, save for the appearance of metal.  These are 100% aluminium.  The neck is a solid beam of aluminium which runs to the tailpiece.  The pickups are mounted directly to the neck, with the strings also running through the neck.  The result is an incredible piano-like tone and a sustain that is unmatched in wood guitars.  The bodies are two halves of hollow aluminium.  The Zemaitis LPs are basically slimmed-down wooden LPs with metal decoration on the front.  The metal doesn't influence the tone in the slightest (although they look great!) unlike the ECG guitars.

They are more akin to the legendary Travis Bean guitars of the 70s.  In fact, the guy started out as a repair business for broken Travis Beans... I think.

night-B

Thanks for your reply. All the 3 are awesome! I asked about zemaitis 'cause of one luthier of the compony is now working for zemaitis ( found that on wikipedia). I also love James trussart guitars. They are made of steel, and most of them are rusty. It gives them an apocalyptic look. Have tried one in a shop : the steel caster. It's an amazing pure and versatile and articulated tone with hours of sustain. But 3000 or 4000$ doesn't suit my wallet. 2000 2500$ for a lifetime pleasure with a piece of aluminum sounds cool!

irmcdermott

Those are awesome. Gotta love "odd" guitars. My main guitar is a '79 Kramer DMZ 2000, tuning fork head, ebonol fretboard, some weird Hawaiian wood, aluminum rod running through the neck. The sucker is a beast. I think it's heavier than a Les Paul, but in the neck, rather than the body. I even had work done on it by the original designer and incredible luthier Phil Petillo (RIP) when I was still living in NJ. I feel like all that's left to do is swap out the original Dimarzio's for some new ones. Best part about it.... $20 steal at a garage sale!

Sorry for the O/T, but those guitars are sweet. Let us know what you get!

pandadandan

Went for the Ted Danson Career Killer Custom model. 

So begins the six month wait for it to be built.