News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

robust pre-amp pedal?

Started by eniacmike, February 04, 2011, 08:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

I have a friend who is looking for a deluxe preamp pedal with a 3 band eq and a presence not unlike the dr. boogie but not as high gain as the dr. boogie. he's using an old fender p.a. and it doesn't have a whole lot of tone shaping. does anybody know any diy projects out there that do this kind of thing.

jkokura

Go check out Run Off Groove (ROG). They have tonnes of preamp and emulation circuits available. I have the ac30 and dc30 boards I've yet to build, but they're gonna be the closest out there as far as I know.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

you're going to want a speaker simulator on the output, for going direct.  Either a filter on the output or a standalone box, for direct into PA.

Myramyd

BYOC has a Parametric EQ with boost. I would think that would work. You could choose any frequencies you want with that. Otherwise, there is also a SansAmp clone on the Tonepad site. It's only a two-band EQ but it "simulates" amps (never tried it).

There are lots of preamp simulation circuits out there. I've seen a vero layout of a Mesa Boogie MkIIc+ preamp (Boogeyman). That might be closer to what he wants. I would think it would be lower gain but somewhat in the ballpark.

Also the runoffgroove projects as mentioned above.

Maybe there is a way to reduce the gain with some component replacements on the Chunk Chunk as well?

J

Myramyd

Quote from: aziltz on February 04, 2011, 10:00:33 AM
you're going to want a speaker simulator on the output, for going direct.  Either a filter on the output or a standalone box, for direct into PA.

Yeah, you would want to know if he's running that as a PA into full-range PA speakers or using the Fender PA as a head going into a guitar cabinet. If it's a straight up full-range PA, you might need some kind of speaker simulation to get it more "guitar-like."

Some of the runoffgroove projects would apply here, along with the SansAmp project.

Non-DIY route, there are the Tech21 pedals. They do speaker simulation along with preamp.

J

eniacmike

Quote from: Myramyd on February 04, 2011, 10:06:42 AM
Quote from: aziltz on February 04, 2011, 10:00:33 AM

Yeah, you would want to know if he's running that as a PA into full-range PA speakers or using the Fender PA as a head going into a guitar cabinet. If it's a straight up full-range PA, you might need some kind of speaker simulation to get it more "guitar-like."

Some of the runoffgroove projects would apply here, along with the SansAmp project.

Non-DIY route, there are the Tech21 pedals. They do speaker simulation along with preamp.

J

It's a fender tube bandmaster tube pa into guitar cabs. I saw the byoc parametric project and it is cool but I HATE the layout. probably something ROG will do it. I built a flipster for bass and I love that circuit.

madbean

The Peppermill is worth a look. You could add a stock TMB tone control and a recovery stage after it to get something close to what you are describing, Mike.