Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SIP layouts?

Started by Scruffie, July 24, 2013, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Quote from: billstein on July 25, 2013, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: jkokura on July 25, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
Yeah, I'm into developing something. Narrow it down to a specific request or two, and I can start developing single in line package projects.

What about something simple like the a son of screamer type drive to start?

Jacob

If son of screamer is the same as a tube screamer then yes please.

Well, it's a screamer without the in/out buffers. Think Eternity. Super easy to add/modify, and it's generally great sounding. Tweak the values in places, and you can get a lot of different dual op amp overdrive sounds.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

This board from GrindCustoms required a SIP IC, which I didn't have, and didn't want to order. So I had to come up with a way to make it work anyway.....

I think I can still fit the diodes under there  :D Added plus is that I can now experiment with the opamps I have lying around!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

^ The true spirit of DIY :D.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

billstein

Quote from: jkokura on July 25, 2013, 02:59:40 PM
Quote from: billstein on July 25, 2013, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: jkokura on July 25, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
Yeah, I'm into developing something. Narrow it down to a specific request or two, and I can start developing single in line package projects.

What about something simple like the a son of screamer type drive to start?

Jacob

If son of screamer is the same as a tube screamer then yes please.

Well, it's a screamer without the in/out buffers. Think Eternity. Super easy to add/modify, and it's generally great sounding. Tweak the values in places, and you can get a lot of different dual op amp overdrive sounds.

Jacob

Sounds good. I want one!

culturejam

There are good and bad things about SIPs for layout purposes. I did the Octane layout (previously called the Inline 8) mostly because I'd never seen a DIY project with a SIP dual op amp.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

SMT puts a lot of people off, but I am curious how many people who dislike it have actually tried it.

Now, I agree that some SMT parts can be challenging.  Fine-pitch micro controllers and some of the smaller diode packages come to mind.  Basic caps and resistors aren't that hard, and ICs aren't terrible, either.

In the end, they are different,  but people hand solder them all the time.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper