News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean green bean project

Started by viper2rage, July 24, 2013, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper2rage

I bought the slow loris and a green bean pcb I built the slow loris first and it works fine now I got done building the green bean and it does not work . When the switch is in bypass mode I get sound from my amp, when I press the switch no sound. I double checked soldering, and I tested  resistors, ri  should be 1 M ohm and on the pcb it tested at0.2 ohm, r6 should be  4k7 and tested at 3.0 k, r19 should be  at 10 k and tested at 3.0 k. All these test were made with no power on. When I plug in power  the r17 and d6 gets really hot, I am at a loss please help, also with spdt switch in bypass mode and power still on the r1 and d6 still stays hot. :

nieradka

Sounds like you have a short from 9v to ground. triple check for solder bridges, especially in the area where 9v and ground connect to the board. If you cant find it post large photos of both sides of the board. I assume you are testing unboxed and with a battery?

jimilee

Also you can't test resistors in the circuit, you have to remove at least one of the legs.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

edited - you don't need a poll.

The values of your resistors aren't what you shoudl be looking at, but instead you should start checking your voltages. It does sound like you have a short, which is an easy mistake to make.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

viper2rage

Thanks for the info guys I will go back and check voltages and look for shorts.
I don't  know if this means anything but at r17 I got 9v on one side  and 1.16v on the other side that goes to d6, should'nt I get 4.5 v instead of 1.16?

viper2rage

And yes I am testing unboxed with a battery and also a 9v Doc connector.

viper2rage

I found one problem, I installed the IC backwards. Removed and flipped around, pedal works now, a little noisy and I noticed it does not work thru my guitar neck pick up, it works thru middle and bridge pick ups, any ideas?

midwayfair

Quote from: viper2rage on July 24, 2013, 01:54:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys I will go back and check voltages and look for shorts.
I don't  know if this means anything but at r17 I got 9v on one side  and 1.16v on the other side that goes to d6, should'nt I get 4.5 v instead of 1.16?

You've used 47K instead of 47R (47 Ohms).

I can't tell you why it's not working through your neck pickup, but fix that resistor first. You can use 100R or any other very small resistor or even just jumper the resistor if you don't have a 47R handy.

viper2rage

R17 is a 47 r resistor, after I removed the IC and reinstalled it the correct way the pedal works now, a little scratchy with the tone all the way up.