News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

5kC pot

Started by jcuempire, February 04, 2011, 08:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcuempire

Hello.  I am slowly learning this stuff, but I noticed on the Slambox it calls for a 5kC pot.  What is the significance of the "C"?  I understand linear and audio differences.  Is this another case of an additional way to code an electronic component?  There are certainly tons of those, I'm finding out.  Thanks

night-B

This is a well documented link, all you need to know and much more :
http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm
Jul

jcuempire

Thanks.  That's exactly what I needed. 

madbean

Here's the shortcut for lazy readers like me!

Log = Audio = A
Linear = B
Reverse Log = Reverse Audio = Antilog = C
Two others: "W" and "S". These are the same, IIRC. Those are reverse audio left, linear center, and audio right.

jcuempire

What, then, would be the effect of using a normal log pot when it calls for a reverse one?

madbean

In this case, using a log taper for the gain control will result in very little change of the first 3/4 of the turn of the pot and end in a massive volume change in the last 1/4. Using a reverse audio taper negates that by putting the largest part of the resistance where it has the least effect, i.e. the very beginning of the sweep. The last half of the sweep will be more linear, which means it gain won't bunch up at the end, and you can make more subtle changes with it.

My totally non-scientific explanation of the principle behind it is that the human brain is instinctively wired to recognize large changes in volume rapidly as a defense mechanism. So, we gotta make our pots behave in a way to balance that out. :)

jcuempire

My unscientific mind appreciates that.  Thanks.  It makes perfect sense

stecykmi

You can use a "regular" audio pot but wired in reverse if you don't mind the direction of the pot being backwards.

nzCdog

The 5KC sounds really good, I like the response of reverse log pots... Next best thing is a Linear 5KB pot, should be easy to find

madbean

Reverse log also works well in circuits where the gain is set up like an attenuator, like the Big Muff, for example. Also, you can use them in place of the linear pot in the gain control of a fuzz Face.

jcuempire

I guess I should come clean and admit I bought the wrong thing instead of saying "I have this friend and he bought a regular audio pot instead of a reverse one..."  But it looks like I should get a couple of them and use them in other projects.  This hobby is all about the learning.  Thanks

Roctopus

Quote from: stecykmi on February 07, 2011, 06:43:58 AM
You can use a "regular" audio pot but wired in reverse if you don't mind the direction of the pot being backwards.

Can you please explain this more? I was thinking of building a Slambox with a 5kB clear shaft pot since they don't make them as 5kC's.

Thanks,
Roctopus

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: madbean on February 07, 2011, 10:44:39 AM
Reverse log also works well in circuits where the gain is set up like an attenuator, like the Big Muff, for example. Also, you can use them in place of the linear pot in the gain control of a fuzz Face.

I just recently discovered this for the fuzz face but big muffs too? Would the value stay the same just be replaced with an anti-log pot?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 29, 2011, 02:46:48 PM
Quote from: madbean on February 07, 2011, 10:44:39 AM

I just recently discovered this for the fuzz face but big muffs too? Would the value stay the same just be replaced with an anti-log pot?

I'm curious about this as well...I have the Cosmo board and I've been thinking of ordering a 5kc for the Gain knob and maybe the same for the Fuzz knob and putting resistors in parallel to bring down to 2K and 1K respectively...
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com