News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Profile Doppelgaenger

Started by cooder, July 26, 2013, 01:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Hi everyone,
I've just finished this Lovetone Doppelganger phaser on AlanP's fantastic board, many thanks to everyone who made this possible (Lacesensor, AlanP and I'm sure there's others).
I was a bit apprehensivce after reading about LFO ticking issues with this, but it all worked out sweet, fired up first time and sounds friggin' AMAZING!
I had only the faintest ticking when testing outside of box, but boxed up and mounted on board it is perfect and I've been through many different settings (although there's so many good sounds in this box with all the controls and interactivity...).
I did use Smallbear 20k/2Meg LDRs, Tayda diff green LEDs and covered them in heatshrink so there's no interference, everything really as in AlanP's project doc.
It's wired in true bypass and I used a second footswitch for the dual LFO switch, which I find really useful.
Not too sure if I will label the controls as I do like the swirly look without anything else, but then there's a bunch of unusaul dials here, so I might end up putting labels on, will see how necessary I find it using it.
One thing that might also help to avoid LFO ticking ios that I have it after a buffer (after Klon with bypass buffer), so maybe that's something to try for anyone who has got issues with that?
Anyway, I dig it!

Cheers!

BigNoise Amplification

alanp

That paint is amazing, complete and total Pink Floyd _Echoes_. What size is the enclosure?

As for different settings -- try dual mode, with square on. You wind up playing rhythm to the square lfo's rate, and lead on the second triangle lfo. Pretty neat.

Mine is also after a buffered Klon, it's ziptied down right now so can't test it bufferless :( The second one I built for Ironbird13 was laid out identically to my first, with no ticking.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Hangingmonkey

Great swirl, you should enter it into this months contest

Is that a 1590XX?

fendman

Hey Cooder, nice build, and swirls I like 8)

Mike

lincolnic

If you want to label the pedal without getting in the way of the finish, try labeling the knobs themselves. I can see it with a silver Sharpie, or paint, or what-have-you...

Beautiful swirl, in any case.

pickdropper

Just a beautiful swirl.

I really need to build this board.  It's been sitting for a while.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

cooder

Thanks for all the kind comments!
The box is 145mm wide x 122 deep by 39 high or for ya inch freaks out there 5 3/4 x 4 3/4 x 1 1/2 (or so...).
I don't know if that constitutes a 1590XX (could be...?), I got a few of those boxes in a trade, so haven't ordered them myself, can't give a reference link or so.
It's a step bigger than 1590BBs obviously and although there's some empty space yawning I like it for this because it enables to have the jacks on top, which I really like in my setup, and it give the two footswitches enough room.
That wouldn't have worked in a 1590BB I reckon.
Cheers
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

cooder

Quote from: alanp on July 28, 2013, 08:30:25 PM
Was the enclosure from Kev77?
Na, I got it from a mate across the ditch, was bare aluminum when I got it.
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Beaut, Kev77 is a kiwi on nzguitars who does a lot of enclosures in that style is all :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website