News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzzface volume pot reducing

Started by garfo, July 27, 2013, 11:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

Old thread coming back to life.I'm messing up with my fuzzface and replaced the 500k pot with a 250k.Eventhough it became a tad less mushy and bassy it also increased floor noise and hum.
Has anyone had the same experience???

midwayfair

That shouldn't have happened ... It's just a master volume, and smaller resistors also produce less thermal noise.

Check the positions of your wires and make sure that your ground connections are still correct.

ChrisM

Quote from: midwayfair on July 27, 2013, 02:07:10 PM
That shouldn't have happened ... It's just a master volume, and smaller resistors also produce less thermal noise.

Check the positions of your wires and make sure that your ground connections are still correct.
That output cap and pot form a high pass filter so the less bass is to be expected.

Or maybe you were commented more on the noise.

garfo

I found the problem, my pedal was built fulltone 69 style and I removed the countor pot.WhileI did that didn't replace the resistor.Now I've put a larger resistor in there and the volume is back.It's sounding good, these 1t308B and mp39b transistors nail it for sure.

garfo

Quote from: garfo on July 27, 2013, 08:07:38 PM

I found the problem, my pedal was built fulltone 69 style and I removed the countor pot.WhileI did that didn't replace the resistor.Now I've put a larger resistor in there and the volume is back.It's sounding good, these 1t308B and mp39b transistors nail it for sure.
It's sounding good, but it still has huming!!!

garfo

My ground connections are correct, plus I'm powering it with a batery, it still hums a bit.I'm surprised that it hums in my small transistor combo, I would expect that from my valve amp, but not on this one.

garfo

I found this when googling about hum cancelling a fuzzface;is it correcto?:
"To reduce hum, insulate the output jack from the case, leave the input jack attached to ground, and make sure no other parts of the circuit are tied to chassis."