News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

boneyard v1 problem

Started by harrisxr650, July 27, 2013, 01:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kothoma

Quote from: harrisxr650 on August 01, 2013, 05:32:22 PM
i measure dc jack + with pin5 with my dmm and it reads 18v??!! shouldn't be 9v?

No, that's OK: The potential difference between these two points is 9V - (-9V) = 18V.

If you measure against ground (G1, G2, DC jack -, battery -) you will get -9V (black wire to ground, red wire to pin 5).

harrisxr650

ok sorry for the noob questions :) i think i need to read more about electronic circuits.  i did a check and notice that the high pitch whistle its not affected when cranking the gain either in crunch or high gain its affected just a bit by the volume and a little more with boost. Other than that the pedal sound as it should be. Any ideas?

harrisxr650

SOLVED!!! took apart the pedal today and noticed a broken solder in IC2 pin1 socket. repair it and that solved the problem. Its whistling  now and a great sounding pedal.
Thanks for any help Kothoma :)
cheers
Harris

kothoma

Glad you could solve it quickly (and if I was of any help).
Doesn't sound like it was that reverse polarity psu after all?

harrisxr650

At first i blame the reverse polarity but after opening the pedal and notice that there is nothing blown or burned or smelly i decide to take apart the pcb and check for something wrong in the traces, like a short on the traces from solder blobs or bad etching ( which i was sure wouldnt find anything as i triple check the pcb after etching and after each solder just for that), after a minute i've notice the crack in the pin 1 ,solder it again, plug it in and it worked like a charm. btw i've put a 1N4007 as a protection diode i think its plenty enough to save the pedal and not blown with reverse polarity, the reverse polarity psu he used was a -9v 2000mA!!!

harrisxr650

and also putting shielded cables for input-3pdt-pcbin and pcbout-3pdt-output makes the pedal dead quiet with no oscillation or anything i'm using george L's for almost all the high gain pedals i build and all of them are really quiet.
anyway thanks again