News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hello! New here!

Started by Blaggahblah, August 01, 2013, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggahblah

Hello! I'm new here. I have been playing guitar and bass for around 10-ish years and have been mod-ing and rewiring them for most of that time. After seeing what it costs to buy a Fuzz Face rather then make one I got a little miffed and decided that I should try making some pedals since I have some electronics knowledge from time in the military, and since my soldering skills have drastically improved recently. I did attempt a build of a Black-Cat OD1 that did not work out to well and I decided I should start a little smaller. I'm thinking I'll start with a pair of fuzz faces, one germanium and one silicone, and a power supply for both. Eventually I'd like to try some harder ones like a tube screamer or a klon centaur. Anyway, just some ideas. I do have one question though, the Madbean project kits...what all do they include? With the prices where they are I assume that they don't have everything...

Anyway, Thanks for having me! ;D

midwayfair

Hi, there. Welcome to the forum.

The Madbean boards are not kits. They're PCBs (printed circuit boards) only. You have to source all the parts for the build yourself. There are plenty of threads around here about sourcing parts. The search function will bring up tons, and there's a links page on the top domain.

pryde

Hello and welcome.

madbean does not sell kits, you get JUST the pcb which means you need to source all the components to complete the project.

The build documents for each project tell you exactly what you need to populate the pcb. Common sources to get your components are (assuming you are US):

www.smallbearelec.com

www.mammothelectronics.com

www.mouser.com

Tons of knowledge and very helpful folks here so get some madbean pcbs and get busy  ;)

Blaggahblah

Come this Tuesday I'll be making a big move. After the wife and I get settled I'll probably go crazy on some pedal builds!

jimilee

Welcome to the community, glad to have you!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Welcome aboard! I'm sure when you narrow it down to what you want we'll be glad to help you out. Lots of friendly people around these parts.

Bean's boards are the best out there and come with outstanding documents. Great place to start.

My best advice is to go ahead and buy decent tools from the start. The kit at BYOC is actually a really good deal.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Welcome!  Once you get into the swing of things, I'm sure you'll be able to dig right in.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Blaggahblah

Thanks again all! I have some pretty decent tools. I have a Weller 145watt soldering gun, a radio shack 45 watt soldering pen, one of those little doohickeys where it has the alligator clips and magnifying glass, one of those magnifying head bands with the light, and a bunch of high quality and various pliers, cutters, and screwdrivers. I'm using 60/40 rosin core electrical solder and I'm feeling pretty good about my equipment. But by all means, let me know if I am missing anything. I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff I've probably never even heard of. :)

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

It does sound like you have some nice gear.  Keep the 145W soldering gun away from the PCBs, however.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

billstein

Welcome to the addiction. If you don't understand what that means soon you will.  :)

hammerheadmusicman

Tayda electronics discount code came out again today, your just in time to order some parts!

Have fun, this is a great place to learn!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

ch1naski

Welcome. Kiss your wallet and free time goodbye. (But you'll be immensely happy doing it)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

jimilee

Quote from: Blaggahblah on August 01, 2013, 08:07:19 PM
Thanks again all! I have some pretty decent tools. I have a Weller 145watt soldering gun, a radio shack 45 watt soldering pen, one of those little doohickeys where it has the alligator clips and magnifying glass, one of those magnifying head bands with the light, and a bunch of high quality and various pliers, cutters, and screwdrivers. I'm using 60/40 rosin core electrical solder and I'm feeling pretty good about my equipment. But by all means, let me know if I am missing anything. I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff I've probably never even heard of. :)
Desoldering iron!  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.