News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Earthquaker - The Depths Optical Vibe

Started by destro, August 03, 2013, 01:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destro

Obviously I build the majority of my effects, but I might just have to fork over the cash for this one. Anyone have a clue about what it might be based off of?  Or a circuit capable of getting the same sounds?

http://youtu.be/SyhzcKaWmDU

jkokura

I can tell you from experience, that EQD often use DSP for their pedals (the FV1 for example). Not saying this is for sure DSP, but it's a possiblilty. However, if it isn't, I'd bet it's a vibe of some sort. The UniVibe I mean.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jubal81

Some pedal companies (OK, a lot of companies) will use words like "analog" and "optical" when it's actually digital processing.

If the marketing doesn't specifically say it's not digital, then assume it's digital.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

destro

From their site.

Features:
• Voice control to tailor The Depths to every set up and allow operation anywhere
in the signal chain and on a variety of instruments.
• Control over the low end throb
• Classic photocell construction - YEAH!!!!
• Adjustable volume to boost or cut the signal
• 9-18v Operation

midwayfair

I'm guessing it's either similar to the voodoo labs or some sort of heavily modified Phase 45 or 90 topology. It can't be a lamp, and they're not BSers who wouldn't tell you it if was DSP.

ch1naski

If this isn't digital at some point in the circuit, I'd be shocked. You'd be hard pressed to fit a photocell-powered vibe circuit in an enclosure that size.... with all those extra controls...  Even smd, I would bet, would be difficult.

It DOES sound nice, tho. And that's coming from a univibe snob....;)
Is they managed to do it all analog, I may have to check one out in person.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

jubal81

Apollomusicservice posted this itty-bitty Univibe over at FSB a while back. Pretty amazing effort.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Based on the feature list, I don't see why any pat of the circuit would *have* to be digital.

====

Sorry to hijack/spam, but...

In fact, one of the boards that we -- Function f(x) -- are about to release in the fundriaser is a vibe. It doesn't have as many features/knobs as the EQ vibe, but it sounds fairly similar. And it will fit in a 1590B. It's got two LDRs.

It's the same circuit (almost) as this one:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9864.0

More details to come soon.  :)

====

So yeah, I think EQD certainly could have gone all analog on this one. One of the controls is filtering the lows, one is adjusting the waveform of the LFO. That's not something that requires digital. Not saying they didn't go digi, but I do maintain it's not required.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Looks and sounds real cool to me.

I wouldn't imagine it is digital.

Eqd can, and do, produce digital stuff, but I imagine this will be all analogue.

They are a cool company IMO.

culturejam

Quote from: raulduke on August 03, 2013, 06:04:02 PM

Definitely. They are one of the "good guys", in my opinion.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

Quote from: culturejam on August 03, 2013, 06:28:33 PM
Quote from: raulduke on August 03, 2013, 06:04:02 PM

Definitely. They are one of the "good guys", in my opinion.

Agreed. They put out some really ingenious products.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ch1naski

They do some very interesting original things, and that goes far in my book.
:)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.