News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero point sdx and tails

Started by jimilee, August 03, 2013, 04:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Is it possible to wire the zero point sdx (or any delay)for tails AND a switch to turn that feature on or off? This was one feature I liked about the techo delay. I know Jon posted some schems on adding tails but the switch is what would make it works doing to every delay I build going forward.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

kothoma

Quote from: jimilee on August 03, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
Is it possible to wire the zero point sdx (or any delay)for tails [...]?

The simplest way is to put a switch between C4/R8 to stop feeding the delay line while still mixing in at the output what's already in/coming out of the delay line.

This switch can be mechanical, a FET (look at Boss designs),  or CMOS like that between C17/C24 of the Techo Delay, any switch ever invented. Maybe you need to take measures to prevent switch noises (a second C4, pull down resistors come to mind).

Of course it's no longer true bypass then. There will be a similar point in about any delay pedal (about any pedal with a mix stage/knob: delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser).

kothoma

Quote from: jimilee on August 03, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
[...] AND a switch to turn that feature on or off?

Either you keep the true bypass switch for tails off.

Or you only have the new switch but make it switch also at C47/R40 to cut tails off:
One half of a DPDT switches at the input of the wet path, one half at the output.
With a second switch you bridge the half switching at the output for tails.