"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Ettore_M

Quote from: DutchMF on August 04, 2013, 10:05:57 AM
Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on August 04, 2013, 08:29:58 AM
Ill take the SMD challenge!

George

Brave man.....

Paul
Hey, Paul! Really. Soldering SMD ICs on a fabbed board is really easy. Couldn't be easier. Just tin all the pads with just a little solder before you start soldering the IC down. It's really simple! :)
If you think that's hard, try a TL074 on a etched board. Been there, done that! ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

DutchMF

Thanks for the encouragement Hector, but my hands and eyes can barely handle the through-hole as it is! I remember getting in my first boards and parts and thinking "Crap!! That is waaaayyyy smaller than I thought!!"
Maybe I'll try it some time, but for now, I'm happy that I can build working pedals!

Paul

Ettore_M

Quote from: DutchMF on August 04, 2013, 10:43:59 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Hector, but my hands and eyes can barely handle the through-hole as it is! I remember getting in my first boards and parts and thinking "Crap!! That is waaaayyyy smaller than I thought!!"
Maybe I'll try it some time, but for now, I'm happy that I can build working pedals!

Paul
Haha!! You are welcome! :)
You know I said that same thing first time I saw SMD. Maybe it was because I was already used to handle TH parts from lessons in college.
However, you know better. When you feel like taking the next step, I am here for any questions! ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

DutchMF

Ettore_M

Quote from: DutchMF on August 04, 2013, 12:33:42 PM
Thanks Hector, you are a cool dude!

Paul
Thanks! I'm just trying to give something back to the DIY community. I learned so much throughout the years and I got so much help from people, so I try to offer something in return. ;)

Hector
- Culturejam

Ettore_M

So guys, I finished the single-sided layout. Its size is 26mm x 42mm. I believe it fits standing on the side below the stomp switch on a 1590B. I just don't have one in front of me to check (I'm on vacation at the moment! ;D ). What do you think? Could somebody check this for me?
I'll post it tomorrow on the Member Projects area.

Hector
- Culturejam

crashguitar

I can't wait to see what comes of all this. I would be curious to see how it looks with smd. Itmight be just the thing to get me on the smd path.

I still etch. But if a group order was put together, I might be convinced to join in.

I have used these successfully. I did do one without ic sockets that didn't work, but it may have been my hack skills at soldering.

Chad

gordo

I'm up for SMD as it will push my lazy duff into doing one.  Is there a downside to this?  Popping or any tone suck issues?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

ch1naski

So these momentary illuminated switches http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10916.0 would work with this setup, huh?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

Ettore_M

Quote from: ch1naski on August 04, 2013, 09:13:44 PM
So these momentary illuminated switches http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10916.0 would work with this setup, huh?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Damn, really cool switches! ;D
Yes, they'll surely work if they are momentary normally open switches.

Hector
- Culturejam

Ettore_M

Quote from: crashguitar on August 04, 2013, 04:30:02 PM
I can't wait to see what comes of all this. I would be curious to see how it looks with smd. Itmight be just the thing to get me on the smd path.

I still etch. But if a group order was put together, I might be convinced to join in.

I have used these successfully. I did do one without ic sockets that didn't work, but it may have been my hack skills at soldering.

Chad
Hey, Chad! If you are an etcher, will you do me a favour, if you can of course, to verify the single-sided layout, until I finish the SMD layout? Or do I ask for too much? I won't be home for another two weeks, at least.

Hector
- Culturejam

spaceboss

I'd love to see the single sided layout. I could etch it up, and give it a test run, by Saturday, if that was cool!

crashguitar

I could do a test. Did you post a layout that I missed?

Chad

Ettore_M

No..  :-\
I just sat on the laptop to do just that! I'll post .sch and .brd files  too.

Hector
- Culturejam