News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Of/Off Mini Toggle or Pot for Ge Fuzz

Started by brucer, August 04, 2013, 11:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

Hi All.  I'm a new member here and pretty new to guitar and effects, but enjoying learning and playing.  I'm looking to get started in pedal building with some different Ge fuzzes.  I've read a lot about how these are best powered by non-alkaline batteries, but I'd like the option of not having to unplug patch cords to stop the batteries from draining.  I've read through all the beginner's paradise posts and found nothing on this topic and struck out with searches too, so .... here goes:  

1) Is it possible to use an on-off pot with a fuzz project without altering the tone or do I need to use a mini-toggle?

2) If it is possible to use an on-off pot, does it matter if I use it for Volume, Tone or Fuzz and can anyone point me to a retailer that carries them? (didn't see anything at Small Bear)

3) I'm guessing an on-off pot would be wired the same as a regular one, but can anyone point me to a dummy-proof wiring diagram for an on-off mini-toggle?  (sorry, this last noob question is painful even for me to read).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Great forum by the way.  Amazing knowledge base and nice sense of community in the Q+A's.

harrisxr650

Generally a typical fuzz face circuit it draws so little current that a battery inside it will last after you change all your teeth on a dentist. most guitar pedals using a stereo input so when you disconnect your guitar cable it brakes the psu circuit for longer battery life. That can be achieved by soldering the "-"of the battery and power jack to the ring of your input jack on the pedal, removing the cable will stop the powering to the circuit..simple yet effective.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NcBSbulkwTo/UJHt2m1ZCKI/AAAAAAAAKMs/E-9fsZF7HI4/s398/trs-explanation.jpg

harrisxr650

aah crap.. i need to read more carefully :/. pots with on off switch have additional lugs for wiring the power line.
also you can use a push-pull or push-push pot to break the power line but i guess thats expensive but i wouldnt bother, pulling the patch cable its cheaper and easiest  way :).

brucer

Thanks Harris for the pedal input advice.  I also found this thread on TGP in case any other noob's are looking for the same advice:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-1182230.html

Still, if anyone knows where to get the on-off fuzz pots like Analogman uses on the Peppermint Fuzz (and when it's okay to use them) I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks again.