News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to have more output volume on the wolfshirt

Started by fuzzmax, February 08, 2011, 07:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzmax

Hi all!  first post here!!  I built a wolfshirt and I find it quite quiet when engage.  I was wondering if someone knows what mod to perform to have more Output vol. 

thanx

gtr2

Hmm, maybe someone else can help but my wolfshirt build has more volume than I'd ever need...there may be a problem
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

t-rack

im kinda in the same boat, not much volume and not much fuzz either. no subbed parts and double checked all wiring and solder joints

B_of_H

i'm having this same issue, the volume at max is just a little less than bypass.

i built this to spec 100% I believe as well.  I've got tons of fuzz, more than i'll ever need.

stecykmi

Quote from: B_of_H on March 12, 2011, 09:08:34 PM
i'm having this same issue, the volume at max is just a little less than bypass.

i built this to spec 100% I believe as well.  I've got tons of fuzz, more than i'll ever need.

if the amount of "fuzzyness" seems right, check around the last gain stage.

madbean

If you can post some voltages, I'll get some off mine to compare.

B_of_H

thanks.  I'm stumped on this one, perhaps one of the 3565's is bad?

the legs of the transistors are (from left to right as you look at the pcb)

0.15, 0.82, 2.42 - 8.1, 2.5, 1.8 - 8.9, 0.8, 0.1 - .08, 0.74, 9.6

madbean

You should not be reading negative voltages. Something is obviously very wrong here. Not sure what, though.

Are your transistors socketed, by any chance? If using 2n3565, the flat side of the transistor should be the emitter. For example, from left to right, the flat side of Q1 should be on the left.

What is your reading on both sides of R9? One side should be about 9v, the other somewhat less.

B_of_H

Quote from: madbean on March 14, 2011, 02:32:58 PM
You should not be reading negative voltages. Something is obviously very wrong here. Not sure what, though.

Are your transistors socketed, by any chance? If using 2n3565, the flat side of the transistor should be the emitter. For example, from left to right, the flat side of Q1 should be on the left.

What is your reading on both sides of R9? One side should be about 9v, the other somewhat less.

sorry, no negative voltages...bad way to write those out.  the - just separated the transistors.

yes, they are socketed.

here (flat side being 1st)

q1: .15/.82/2.43
q2: 1.8/2.54/8.48
q3: 9.3/.8/.11
q4: 9.9/.74/.08

r19: 10.6 on the bottom, .76 on the top

B_of_H

btw, I don't know how to check the last gain stage or transistors.

I audio probed it and it seemed like there was a pretty big drop in volume at the top of r17 and coming off the middle lug of the tone pot.

B_of_H

whoops. I thought you asked about r19

r9 is the input voltage (my DMM's battery is going out but) on the bottom and a like 8.7 on the top

madbean

Okay, I will get my voltages today. I have 2n3904 in there right now, but they are socketed so I will swap for 2n3565.

B_of_H

I could use some help still on this, thanks.   :)

madbean

madbean

Here are voltages off two different builds.

8.85v supply

Build #1: the new fabbed board
Transistors: 2n3904 (read C-B-E)
Q1 2.28, .75, .14
Q2 7.17, 2.28, 1.64
Q3 7.02, .8, .18
Q4 7.74, .76, .15

Build #2: ver.1 board
Transistors: 2n2222a (read C-B-E)
Q1 7.2, 2.2, .14
Q2 7.2, 2.2, 1.61
Q3 6.93, .77, .19
Q4 7.72, .73, .17

Q2-Q4 match well on both builds. Q1 in build #1 is close to the result I would expect. The collector in Q1 on build 2 seems way off, so it may have gone south or I might have the wrong collector resistor there. I only played through build 1 this time and just took the voltages off build 2.

Anyway, with the gain rolled all the way down, it's a bit above unity with max volume compared to bypass. With the gain all the way up it has a huge volume boost at max compared with bypass.