News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii

Started by jkokura, November 30, 2010, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I finished this one today. Played with it a bit, but I'll have to explore it some more so I know how it works! Talk about a crazy beast!

Anyway, I'm really proud of how clean this one turned out. I used a 3mm Green LED, so it fits nicely with the box and layout. Fuzzy Factor is an obvious copyright avoidance tactic. Used some transistors from Czech, which I'm testing out, have the option to send them back if I don't like them. So far I do.

And the Guts.

Not sure if I'll do the video on this one or not. It's a pretty well documented pedal, so if you guys want me to, speak up!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

maysink

Neat & tidy as always, Jacob! Did you find this pedal to have massive amounts of volume? I don't think I've run the volume past 9 o'clock on mine. It is a fun pedal, tho.
[nothing to see here]
-e

eniacmike

Mine has ridiculous volume too. I barely turn it to 8 and it is screaming. I bet an audio taper would help sort it out.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1376352
there are two pages full of settings, some of them are kind of dumb, or don't really do what they say but a lot of them are really good sounds.

jkokura

It does have a lot of volume. Enough that I've thought about switching to a 5kA pot as well. I think there's a B in there right now, I used the recommended 5kC in there for something else.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

madbean

I believe I recommended a C taper for the Stab knob...not the volume.

That is a really nice build, Jacob. Room to spare!

jkokura

Yep. that's the one. What would the A pot do in the volume slot I wonder? In the end it doesn't matter, cause I can just leave the volume way down if I want to use it. Also, the gain and volume seem to be somewhat interactive so it can be played with.

Also, as mentioned, I'm REALLY proud of the guts on this one! It's so clean in there! I don't like right angles either, so the way everything curves real nice and stays in place... Yeah. This is how I aim to get all my pedals.

I fooled with it some more. This thing is a crazy beast. I don't know if I'll be able to tame it!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

It's an art piece in there  :o
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

milkypostman

Why write Fuzz Factory when you can write Zombii on it??? :)

Nice build.  Has anyone had problems with these zvex style enclosures when playing?  I sing and play and lots of time have to hit a pedal quick no look and I always worry about two things: 1) the box is going to tip over especially if I'm on a carpeted surface, 2) I'm going to bump the knobs and screw something up.

In other words I really like having a big stomp area, even if the box is mostly empty.

I am looking to build a Firebomb and for just that reason I'm going to put it in a BB size box, still horizontal orientation, but should give me more space between the knobs and the footswitch.  Also gives me a little more space for the DC plug.  I like my jacks on the sides and my DC on top.  I love my russian big muff but hate what it makes me do for plugging in.  I need to just rehouse it but I love the housing.

I'm sure it's personal preference and some people like not having to haul around just big enclosures.  I guess I should consider that at some point.

jkokura

Quote from: milkypostman on December 09, 2010, 07:19:08 AMWhy write Fuzz Factory when you can write Zombii on it??? :)

Well, actually it doesn't say Fuzz Factory...

Quote from: milkypostman on December 09, 2010, 07:19:08 AMNice build.  Has anyone had problems with these zvex style enclosures when playing?  I sing and play and lots of time have to hit a pedal quick no look and I always worry about two things: 1) the box is going to tip over especially if I'm on a carpeted surface, 2) I'm going to bump the knobs and screw something up.

In other words I really like having a big stomp area, even if the box is mostly empty.

I am looking to build a Firebomb and for just that reason I'm going to put it in a BB size box, still horizontal orientation, but should give me more space between the knobs and the footswitch.  Also gives me a little more space for the DC plug.  I like my jacks on the sides and my DC on top.  I love my russian big muff but hate what it makes me do for plugging in.  I need to just rehouse it but I love the housing.

I'm sure it's personal preference and some people like not having to haul around just big enclosures.  I guess I should consider that at some point.

I thank you for the compliments!

As for the enclosure orientation, sideways like this - This is the first pedal I've built this way. I built it this way because I had a switcher for my Looper that's also sideways like this with three switches, and I'm building an Echobase sideways like this also. I figure it will be easier to include these three pedals in combination with each other on my pedalboards rather than just the one switcher.

With both the Echobase PCB I have and this Fuzz Factory, if you use PCB mount pots you need to at least orient the holes for the pots this way. I like using smaller enclosures to save room and weight. I can get a ton more pedals on my board if they're in 125B boxes in the orientations I use, compared to the space hogging 1590BB - especially when it's sideways, the 1590BB makes for lots of useless space.

As for tipping over... I use pretty strong Velcro and use my pedals on a Pedalboard. I can't see it tipping if it's on the pedalboard, but I will say that I haven't applied velcro to this one yet because I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not. I try to play pedals for a few weeks before deciding if it goes in the 'keeper' box.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Gledison

Quote from: jkokura on November 30, 2010, 07:33:38 PM
I finished this one today. Played with it a bit, but I'll have to explore it some more so I know how it works! Talk about a crazy beast!

Anyway, I'm really proud of how clean this one turned out. I used a 3mm Green LED, so it fits nicely with the box and layout. Fuzzy Factor is an obvious copyright avoidance tactic. Used some transistors from Czech, which I'm testing out, have the option to send them back if I don't like them. So far I do.

And the Guts.

Not sure if I'll do the video on this one or not. It's a pretty well documented pedal, so if you guys want me to, speak up!

Jacob
hey Jacob, just come out of this topic searching on google for a zombie  :P
look, how did you get the white graphics? it was a white waterslide decal?white pre coat?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

jkokura

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'll try and break it down for you.

In the past I've worked with graphic print houses, who use thermal gerber printer to use foil to print on clear vinyl decal. I then apply it like a sticker to a printed box, then clear coat it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.