News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drilling with a hand drill

Started by Bret608, August 13, 2013, 07:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

So, I goofed a drill hole size on a custom drill order from PPP. I meant to write down 3/8", but I had 9/32" stuck in my head for some reason. Needless to say, that's a bit small for 1/4" jacks!

Would it be possible to grab one of those step drill bits from Harbor Freight and just use it with my cordless hand drill to enlarge the hole? If so, are there any basic or not-so-obvious pointers for the first-timer?

Thanks,

Bret

hammerheadmusicman

Do you have a reamer bit for your drill? I'd get one of those and just ream it out to fit.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Bret608

I don't have one of those at the moment, but it sounds like an option. Let me google that...

And thanks for the speedy reply!  :)

muddyfox

sure thing. before i got a drill press i drilled all holes with a hand drill and a step bit.
make sure your box is clamped down. it can be done handheld but more often than not the drillbit would wander offcenter, even with a pilot hole.
clamped down, not so much.
make sure you only push down and not to the sides and it should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

gtr2

Quote from: Bret608 on August 13, 2013, 07:08:50 AM
Would it be possible to grab one of those step drill bits from Harbor Freight and just use it with my cordless hand drill to enlarge the hole?

Yes.  I have a drill press but still hand drill with step bits as well.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

Thanks all, feeling way better about this now. Luckily, I do have some clamps, and it looks like Harbor Freight even has these step bits on sale!

calciferspit

I only use a hand drill (cordless screwdriver actually) and a step bit. I don't even clamp. I just sharpie the intent and hold the box in one hand and the drill in the other. The step bit works great for reaming out holes and "sliding" an off-center hole over. The key to keeping it from walking away from you is to go super slow until the pilot teeth make a dent.

Gledison

Quote from: calciferspit on August 13, 2013, 07:51:18 AM
I only use a hand drill (cordless screwdriver actually) and a step bit. I don't even clamp. I just sharpie the intent and hold the box in one hand and the drill in the other. The step bit works great for reaming out holes and "sliding" an off-center hole over. The key to keeping it from walking away from you is to go super slow until the pilot teeth make a dent.
The same here! Hold tide with the other hand and go slowly! Just do a small hole with a small bit first!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

lincolnic

Quote from: muddyfox on August 13, 2013, 07:15:46 AM
make sure you only push down and not to the sides and it should work fine.

Don't push down - just let the weight of the drill push itself down.

Bret, if your hole is already drilled and you just need to go one size bigger, you don't even need a step bit, just a 3/8" bit.

GhostofJohnToad

Never use a step bit or drill press.  All done by hand. I start by punching a dimple in the location I want. Then with a small bit I work myself up to the bigger size I want.  Probably done about 30 enclosures and only had a bit hop once.  Of course I have now doomed my next enclosure.  :o

jimilee

I use the 60.00 drill press from harbor freight. Inning live with it and I never want to go back to drilling by hand! (Much like real life too!) ahahahahaha I'll be here all week, remember to tip your waitress......
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DutchMF

Quote from: Gledison on August 13, 2013, 08:25:44 AM
Quote from: calciferspit on August 13, 2013, 07:51:18 AM
The same here! Hold tide with the other hand and go slowly! Just do a small hole with a small bit first!
Cheers

Another 'same here' on this! Just be really sure to hold down the box very, very tightly!!!! If (or should I say when) you let the box slip it will spin along with your drill and it will hurt your hand/head/eyes, or all of the above..... wear safety goggles!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

Thanks again, all! I just called the guitar store across the street from where I work, and they told me they had a unibit and would show me how to use it. I just took my enclosure over there and the tech did it in about two seconds, and didn't even want me to pay anything. He just used the hand-held method some of you described. I must get one of those for myself!

For an aside, the box is for my JMK Standard Fuzz, and the tech who helped me do this told me he bought a Univox Superfuzz brand-new in 1966 and that it was stolen two days later! I think when I've boxed it I'll take it over there and let them give it a go.

Gledison

Quote from: Bret608 on August 13, 2013, 12:08:46 PM
Thanks again, all! I just called the guitar store across the street from where I work, and they told me they had a unibit and would show me how to use it. I just took my enclosure over there and the tech did it in about two seconds, and didn't even want me to pay anything. He just used the hand-held method some of you described. I must get one of those for myself!

For an aside, the box is for my JMK Standard Fuzz, and the tech who helped me do this told me he bought a Univox Superfuzz brand-new in 1966 and that it was stolen two days later! I think when I've boxed it I'll take it over there and let them give it a go.
Do you work across a Guitar shop? WTF? how can you work? i would have my lunch breaks in the guitar shop...hehehehe
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Guitafuzz

You need sometime like this if you dont have enough money for a drill press. i have one of this and is very helpful with a hand drill.