News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Unicord SuperFuzz Build

Started by selfdestroyer, October 08, 2013, 02:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I used the UStomp layout and it sounds great. I am hoping to get some audio demos up soon. Im simply love the sound of this fuzz. Its a blast to play.

I think I am going to trim down the PCB since I left the mounting holes on the PCB and did not end up using them. Also, I almost cried when I tested this pedal when I accidently dropped a screwdriver on it and chipped the paint right next to the SPDT switch. I will re-shoot it this weekend.. for now its shall be played..

Cortexturizer

awesome layout and awesome pedal, I absolutely love mine!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Bret608

It's cool to see this--I came about this close to having Haberdasher etch me the U-Stomp layout until Jacob put out the Standard Fuzz, which I love. I wonder how close they are? I feel like the Superfuzz might have a bit thicker lower-midrange.

Looks like you went with 2n2222s on your build. Good choice--Diamond who frequents this forum told me those just have a bit wilder sound than 2n3904s. This circuit just seems to bring out the creativity for me, playing-wise.

I feel for you on the screwdriver drop--I recently dropped a pedal on top of my Pepper Spray, which has Mammoth's now-discontinued curry powdercoat. I only dropped it from about a foot off the ground, but it was enough to cause a chip through both my rattlecan clear and Mammoth's wimpy powdercoat. I wish PPP would start carrying that color! I'd just rebox the whole damn thing.

jkokura

Quote from: Bret608 on October 08, 2013, 06:43:15 AM
I wonder how close they are?

I do too!

But seriously, I looked into the differences to see if  you could build the superfuzz on a standard fuzz board, and they're different enough that you can't, but overall they're fairly similar in terms of result, and from far back the schem looks similar too. But, quite frankly, I liked the standard fuzz better, though others might disagree.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

There actually is a YouTube clip where the Superfuzz and Standard get compared. They're very, very close, with the Standard being more to my taste. I had read some online buzz about one being better for bass and the other better for guitar, but I think it's more about what works for your individual setup.

selfdestroyer

Thanks guys, I did go with the 2n2222s since I was going back and forth on a few other transistors and just kept going back to these. They sound great in this build. I love the gated sound of this pedal and its quiet as a mouse. Its great for that "Wall of sound" sound. I did a 100% mix with my Strymon BlueSky and it sounds wonderful. I will definetly check out the standard fuzz also might be a nice 1590B alternative.