News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Knob height

Started by catfud, August 28, 2013, 09:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfud

After mounting pots on the enclosure and adding a knob I find the knob stands proud of the enclosure - I'd prefer the base of the knob to be flush with the enclosure if possible, and some options I've been musing are to either use a hacksaw to remove the top part of the pot shaft (which would probably lead to unevenness between different pots on the same pedal) or to pad out the underside with 1 or more washers (which will lose internal enclosure space).

How do others get the base of the knob close to the top of the enclosure, or is a gap considered inevitable? I've not seen any from my usual supplier, but is it perhaps possible to buy pots with shorter shafts ?

pickdropper

Cutting down the pot shaft is only one part of the equation.  With many knobs, they interfere with the pot nut if mounted too low.

There are two options:

1) use knobs where the inside section is recessed into the knob.  The ID of the recessed are needs to be wider than the nut.  The outer edge of the knob (sometimes the skirt) needs to extend lower than the rest of the knob.

2) I haven't done this, but you could probably drill out some of the knob innards with a milling bit.  This would basically replicate the knob type in option 1.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

catfud

Quote from: pickdropper on August 28, 2013, 09:32:00 PM
Cutting down the pot shaft is only one part of the equation.  With many knobs, they interfere with the pot nut if mounted too low.

I've seen a few of your build reports, and I can't see the pot nut showing in any of them - AAMOI do you cut down the pot shaft for your builds?

There are two options:

1) use knobs where the inside section is recessed into the knob.  The ID of the recessed are needs to be wider than the nut.  The outer edge of the knob (sometimes the skirt) needs to extend lower than the rest of the knob.

2) I haven't done this, but you could probably drill out some of the knob innards with a milling bit.  This would basically replicate the knob type in option 1.

Looking again at my stash of different knobs I see some do have enough space at the opening of the recessed area to accommodate the nut. Namely the Tayda chickenhead knobs, the Marshall-style, and the Tayda 'own-brand' knobs. Frustratingly the MXR knobs (which I'm partial to the look of) would need a bit of milling as well as some cutting down of the shaft.

I think I need to find out which knobs can accommodate the pot nut, and which can't.

Many thanks for the reply pickdropper.

Darkknigh_t

I just ordered the mxr style knobs from tayda and they are shallow they stand too high up and basicaly back to davies knobs :( but i really like these mxr ones :(
Heres a picture from my zpsdx
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

pickdropper

Quote from: catfud on August 30, 2013, 07:53:03 PM

I've seen a few of your build reports, and I can't see the pot nut showing in any of them - AAMOI do you cut down the pot shaft for your builds?

There are two options:

Looking again at my stash of different knobs I see some do have enough space at the opening of the recessed area to accommodate the nut. Namely the Tayda chickenhead knobs, the Marshall-style, and the Tayda 'own-brand' knobs. Frustratingly the MXR knobs (which I'm partial to the look of) would need a bit of milling as well as some cutting down of the shaft.

I think I need to find out which knobs can accommodate the pot nut, and which can't.

Many thanks for the reply pickdropper.

Hey Catfud,

The only ones I can remember cutting down are the side-mounted pots on the 1590a builds.  And on those, you definitely CAN see the nut.  On some of the others, the nuts are there if you look from the side, it may just not be as obvious from the photos.

Some knobs cover the nut.  Perhaps you just like those types of knobs better.  Chickenheads are good for that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

You can use two nuts and a lock washer.  One nut goes on the inside of the enclosure and the other goes on the outside.  Adjust until you get the pot shaft height you need.  Be sure to tighten securely as well as use a lock washer (star or whatever) to ensure it doesn't work loose.

Cutting down the pot shaft is OK too but a PITA.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

Never had an issue with Small Bear sourced pots, just enough thread on the bushing to pass through the enclosure and engage the nut, shafts never too long for the knobs i've also purchased from them.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

I get this all the time too.  Unfortunately, my local just seems to source whatever when I make an order and I inevitably end up with a pot that has a 5cm shaft.  My Krankosaurus pots are too long as well by a couple of mil and they sit a touch high, but probably not enough to warrent cutting down.  The Kranky needs rewiring anyway due to dodgy hookup wire so I might chuck another nut or washer under it someday.