News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Non-madbean Reverb (1590A)

Started by kinski, August 25, 2013, 08:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

Madbean got me started on my 1590A obsession. So I figured I'd post this here. Until recently, my entire board was entirely 1590A pedals, EXCEPT for my reverb. Well, thats all changed. The guts are not my best work, but there was so much to cram in there! Used the box of hall reverb.

hammerheadmusicman

You weren't lying when you said it was a cram!

On vero too none less!

From one 1590A junkie to another, good work sir!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

ThePastRecedes

Holy crap! Now I have to make this  ::) Too many projects on the go!
I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

kinski

Thanks!

Yeah, its a nice sounding reverb. If you do build this, you can replace the DAMP pot with a resistor or trim. It is extremely subtle. Infact, I'm not really sure if I can even hear a difference. Its useless in my opoinion. And I even used a 50k pot instead of the 10k listed on the layout. Most others who built it say the same thing. But yeah, the circuit sounds really nice.

I used the modded layout (3rd one down):

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/04/box-of-hall-reverb-culturejam.html

Thanks to Culturejam and |v|ark for this one!

midwayfair

With plastic jacks! So it can be done. That's a first (this is the third 1590A reverb I've seen now).

Welp, guess I'd better get to work ...

kinski

It can be done! But its a major PITA.

I (mostly used) 1/8w resistors, ceramic/ml-ceramic caps. I even sanded down the thickness of the vero board! Its about 1/4 of its original thickness, but I'm not sure if this was really needed. The main trick was to face the components down, and have the IC lay in that space between the pots and the jacks. I also routed as many wires as possible so they weaved in between the two jacks  rather than over the jacks so the board could get as low as possible. I put a little tape over the jacks to isolate.

Another important thing is to file down the inner lip on the enclosures back-plate.

I shortened the six leads on the reverb module and then put some vero on them for easy wiring, just like the 9mm pot technique.

croquet hoop

I wonder if it could be done with regular components, but with a washer between the case and the lid (even better : a clear acrylic washer with LEDs, as Pickdropper did on a wah).

Anyway, great job on this one, you don't see 1590A reverbs everyday.

alanp

That's insane. A belton brick in a 1590A... WITH vero (usually The Space Eater)...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

twin1965

That's impressive!  I find it hard enough fitting simple circuits in 1590B boxes. And on vero too!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

midwayfair

Quote from: kinski on August 25, 2013, 09:51:37 AM
It can be done! But its a major PITA.

I (mostly used) 1/8w resistors, ceramic/ml-ceramic caps. I even sanded down the thickness of the vero board! Its about 1/4 of its original thickness, but I'm not sure if this was really needed. The main trick was to face the components down, and have the IC lay in that space between the pots and the jacks. I also routed as many wires as possible so they weaved in between the two jacks  rather than over the jacks so the board could get as low as possible. I put a little tape over the jacks to isolate.

Another important thing is to file down the inner lip on the enclosures back-plate.

I shortened the six leads on the reverb module and then put some vero on them for easy wiring, just like the 9mm pot technique.

Thanks! I've just finished a layout for the Rub-a-dub. Measurements say it'll fit even with the low-profile jacks, but I might end up with open jacks instead regardless.

Roctopus

mini verb!!! killer job man. i'm gonna look into building this one

lincolnic

selfdestroyer

This is simply amazing. Great job.

nmbb

kinski