News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I suck at DIY

Started by playpunk, August 25, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Dude...

I suck at DIY too. We all do actually. If anyone here has never had something not work, I would be ridiculously surprised. We all have made plenty of mistakes, had plenty of PCBs fail miserably, and many are builds more simple than you'd ever believe.

But stick with it. If I had given up, after two failed PCBs, I wouldn't have built any pedals at all.

By the way, it took me 5 PCBs to get one that worked. Also, I made the previous 4 PCBs work after I learned enough to fix them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TNblueshawk

Quote from: playpunk on August 26, 2013, 10:30:38 AM
hey thanks so much! I will try to take pictures later tonight and get them up here.

I have ordered some fuzz components & boards, too.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to pay it forward. If you have a speeding ticket in Chautauqua County, NY, I should be able to help.

What about Nashville TN  ;D :o
John

playpunk

Re: Nashville -

I could make a couple of calls....
"my legend grows" - playpunk

rullywowr

Quote from: playpunk on August 26, 2013, 10:30:38 AM
hey thanks so much! I will try to take pictures later tonight and get them up here.

I have ordered some fuzz components & boards, too.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to pay it forward. If you have a speeding ticket in Chautauqua County, NY, I should be able to help.

Glad to help a fellow DIY'er!  I'll send out the kit tomorrow.  I just ask that you post pics and a report of your completed (working!) build when you are done.  I look forward to seeing it. 

:)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

DutchMF

Quote from: juansolo on August 26, 2013, 01:20:19 AM
This was one of my first builds...

Not only is is a rats nest, none of the holes in the enclosure are right, indeed I stuck a badge over one of them that I really screwed up.

It'll come. Be methodical and patient.

WTF!!!!! Honestly Juan, you must be kidding..........

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

TNblueshawk

That is awesome Juan  :o

Did you do a group buy on wire after that build  :P
John

rullywowr

Did you get that Treble booster kit working that I sent over? 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

playpunk

Imwas looking at it the other day... I will give it a test this weekend sometime. I was out of power jacks and stuff until today

mysticaxe

I built my first pedal about a year ago - Mudbunny.  Then a second and a third...  #2 (a yellow shark) has something kinda wrong with it (Nature control doesn't quite work), but I like the way it sounds so much I'm afraid to mess it up by "fixing" it!  I just boxed up #14 this weekend, which is a crazy 4 board, multi-effect in a big enclosure.  I've learned a bunch, but still have a lot to go and have a board full of cool pedals that I wouldn't otherwise have.

My box-o-not-quite-there only has one board in it right now, which I have to trouble shoot over the next couple days.

playpunk

I will try to post some pictures later tonight, but I am confident saying I no longer "suck" at DIY, but I now am only mediocre. I've built a Kingslayer, Ego Driver, Nimbus, Cerulean, Mudbunny, Multiplex Jr., Rub a Dub, Hoodoo Drive, 1776 Bass Fuzz, Runt, and Standard Fuzz.

Some of my wiring is clean, some is awful, but I only have one effect that refuses to work. So I am happy with my success at this point.

juansolo

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 26, 2013, 12:47:15 PM
That is awesome Juan  :o

Did you do a group buy on wire after that build  :P

First build that I'd done that wasn't a kit. I had no idea what I was doing so built it out of the box (didn't even have a box at this point). It's a Valvecaster with LPB1 boost... I may have used a little more wire than necessary. Sounded great to be fair.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Quote from: playpunk link=topic=11175.msg115801#msg115801 I only have one effect that refuses to work.
/quote]

You are beating me by a long shot then ...

playpunk

Well I haven't done any really hard builds. My Voxy Brown refuses to function... and I can't figure out why. Oh well. I'm sure once I do some more delays stuff will be goofy.