News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ring Modulator

Started by Om_Audio, March 19, 2011, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

I really enjoy ring modulators- esp set just enough so you can still really hear the note you are playing but with the added effect.
Anyone have any good ring modulator builds they could recommend?
My Line6 Modulation Modeler died (thank god) and I am looking to replace some of the things I liked in it.
Thanks
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

jkokura

The Line 6 unit uses DSP, so it would be a big challenge to try and replicate that with analog DIY stuff. There are other Ring Mods that you could build however.

The Green Ringer is always a favourite, and is VERY easy to do as a DIY project. Give me a few hours and I'll see what I can whip for that one. If you want something different, perhaps a few suggestions about which other kinds of Ring mods you like?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Om_Audio

Howdy!

I was def not trying to imply I wanted to re-create the Line6 MM, just that I want to build a ring mod and maybe a few other things that I used the MM for. If I can combine 1 or 2 in a single enclosure I'd be open to that idea- anything is possible with DIY- that much i have seen!

I have a love/hate w those (MM, DL4) in that I love what they do and how easy they are but I hate what they do to the tone and how the use of the knobs just does not feel/act right to me. Oh and that they are DSP which crash just like computers from time to time!
Funny thing is I just now discovered it was the power supply and will be using the MM in a few hrs for a jam session. (using Voodoo pedal power supply)

In terms of what I am looking for in a ring mod- I guess just a high quality signal path with a good ring mod that has a wet/dry pot? I don't know much about them in terms of features and circuit design. As I mentioned I love being able to keep connected to the actual note I am playing while the ring mod is active. It is great for escalating the energy but without getting louder or employing more fuzz/od/dist.

Here is a pic of my current setup (mono until the stereo Deja Vibe- I use a pair of Tech21 amps in stereo)- and there is a gold Zombii that was built by forum member JakeFuzz (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=334)- it is my current fav pedal- totally inspiring- and he did an immaculate job on the build and is responsible for my new DIY addiction and upcoming Macheen build!
:)

Thanks!

Clifford

PS- here is the description of the ring mod in the MM- no idea if this is a standard design.
"Ring Modulator:
TWEAK adjusts the shape from sine to square wave. TWEEZ gives you a choice of modulation flavors – AM
(amplitude modulation), FM (frequency modulation), or somewhere in between."

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sent via soup cans and string.

lincolnic

PAiA sells a kit for the ring mod from Electronics Projects for Musicians - I've got one populated, but haven't boxed it up yet. Looking forward to it, though!

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CA-9&cat=14

jkokura

Quote from: lincolnic on March 20, 2011, 01:59:11 AM
PAiA sells a kit for the ring mod from Electronics Projects for Musicians - I've got one populated, but haven't boxed it up yet. Looking forward to it, though!

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CA-9&cat=14

I took a look at that project. There are two problems though, the first being that it expects a bipolar power supply, which would require most of us to either build a Road rage board to supply it or build one into the circuit board. However the hard part will be sourcing the NE/LM565. I took a look at Mammoth and Smallbear, and neither have one or a compatible replacement (that I could find). I haven't checked mouser yet, but I expect something could be found there. The thing is, who wants to order one part from Mouser to make a project? I can whip it up if it seems interesting enough though I would do it without the effects loop. Or if people wanted it, the Effects loop could be included.

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/andertonringmodulatorcd7.gif/

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

lincolnic

You don't have to source anything, actually - it's a kit, so all parts (minus enclosure/switch) are included.

But yeah, it does need a bipolar supply. I've got a Road Rage ready and waiting for mine, when I get the chance to wire it up.

jkokura

You're right, it's a kit, and as far as kits go it's not a terribly expensive one. However, I don't do kits anymore. I used to, but I can just as easily make a board/layout and build it for less than that because I already have stock of all the parts needed, except for the IC's which are harder to source.

That said, it's a great option for the OP. However, I'm kinda interested in it myself now, and because of that I kinda wanna see if I can source the parts. If I can, I may do a layout for this one.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

aziltz

I built the PAIA kit for someone and it was a nightmare.  Way too much gain on the Ring signal and just big layout, bipolar supply.  I had to use a road rage to power it.