News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Rat

Started by pickdropper, August 29, 2013, 06:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Well, it's a RAT.

A Guitar teacher at the local shop asked me to build this for him.  I haven't heard a Rat in 20+ years, so I decided to do it.  I didn't care for them much at the time.  After 20 years, I am not sure I feel all that much different now.  I haven't been doing much in the way of finished builds lately, so this was enjoyable. 

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

hoodoo

Very nice rat mate, they've gotta be black, perfect in every way, as usual, all the best, Matt.

Tremster

Dat Rat!
Words fail me.

Bret608

I like your take on this a lot, of course.

An '80s white face Rat with no LED was literally the first effect pedal I ever bought. It's always been one of my favorite circuits. That said, over the course of the '90s I got quite tired of both Rats and Big Muffs. After I sold off a bunch of my old pedals several years ago, I got a Roger Mayer Mongoose, his take on the Rat circuit. It's one of my go-to distortions. Unlike the stock Rat, it can sound good with the gain all the way up.

wolfingsworth

That is one classy rat! The tribal graphic is very tasteful. A thing of beauty as usual!

micromegas

Crazy neat wiring.
My guitar teacher has been using a RAT for almost 30 years as his only distortion device. No matter what other pedal did I bring him (is this sentence correct at all?) the almighty RAT always stays on his board.

The only problem is that he loves Holdsworth and the Rat is not capable of delivering that clear distortion with that much sustain without messing up his sound.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jprizz

This is so awesome looking. So neat and crisp.

billstein

As usual, stellar in every way.

stevewire

pickdropper,
That is a very sharp looking pedal.  A Rat is on my list to build, but I doubt mine will look anywhere as good as yours.

LaceSensor

thats some hot pro shit right there  8)

Darkknigh_t

Nice build great job love the mat black paintjob :) the rat is next on my build list :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

croquet hoop

Superb. One of your best etch on an enclosure, I think. Have you tried with your usual alu knobs instead of the Davies? It must look incredibly sharp.

Roctopus

WOW! Super great build bro. I wanna live in there it's so clean ;)

jimilee

Wait...that's not an etch...is it? It's super clean. Tell us great one...how did you do the rate art?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on August 29, 2013, 02:01:03 PM
Superb. One of your best etch on an enclosure, I think. Have you tried with your usual alu knobs instead of the Davies? It must look incredibly sharp.

Yeah, aluminum knobs would probably look really good.  I really wanted to put mini chickenheads on this one, but unfortunately, I ran out.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper