News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Rat

Started by pickdropper, August 29, 2013, 06:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on August 29, 2013, 07:53:47 PM
Wait...that's not an etch...is it? It's super clean. Tell us great one...how did you do the rate art?

Yep, it's an etch.  I got a bit lucky that the enclosure was in decent shape under the powder coat.  Sometimes when you etch away that much material, you can see a lot of inconsistent color (or scratches) on the enclosure underneath.

The rat art was, like always, laid out in Adobe Illustrator.  The text was just a matter of finding the right font.  The image I found on Google search.  I traced it in Illustrator which converted it to a vector.  Generally, etching pixel based images like JPEG or Bitmap yields somewhat poor results, so the conversion to a vector image is important.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

diablochris6

This build is so clean, inside and out.  And that rat...if there was a guitar pedal rodent deathmatch, it would definitely give the Super Whitey a run for its money.

For some reason a RAT never caught my fancy even though a few of my guitar heroes use them...instead I opted for the BOSS DS-1 for my cruddy distortion.  I might have to build one of these to see if I like them.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on August 29, 2013, 08:22:57 PM
Quote from: jimilee on August 29, 2013, 07:53:47 PM
Wait...that's not an etch...is it? It's super clean. Tell us great one...how did you do the rate art?

Yep, it's an etch.  I got a bit lucky that the enclosure was in decent shape under the powder coat.  Sometimes when you etch away that much material, you can see a lot of inconsistent color (or scratches) on the enclosure underneath.

The rat art was, like always, laid out in Adobe Illustrator.  The text was just a matter of finding the right font.  The image I found on Google search.  I traced it in Illustrator which converted it to a vector.  Generally, etching pixel based images like JPEG or Bitmap yields somewhat poor results, so the conversion to a vector image is important.
That looks so good.i gott do some more research on etching.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thomas_H

This looks grand - as usual.

A friend of mine likes to play a modified Rat in his band and he states that it -maybe because of its enhanced mids- makes his playing fit perfectly into the band sound.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

croquet hoop

Quote from: Thomas_H on August 29, 2013, 11:22:00 PMA friend of mine likes to play a modified Rat in his band and he states that it -maybe because of its enhanced mids- makes his playing fit perfectly into the band sound.
This is a recurring comment about the Rat. Many find that it sounds meh when you play alone, but with a band, it falls right in the spot.

Also, it's great to use with an overdrive—I've been using one with an OCD since January, it makes for a very versatile combo.