News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WEM Project V (vero build)

Started by LaceSensor, March 29, 2012, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Found the vero for this over at FSB, and built it for a friend who is in a band that requested it.
Was suprised to find a layout for it. Built it up and it works really nicely. Has a wide range of tones with the various switch combinations and attack settings.

Pretty big vero build but I think the innards are fairly tidy as it goes.

No artwork yet...

nzCdog

Project V?  Any demos you can link me?  Your vero action is pure ninja... nice work

midwayfair

Quote from: nzCdog on March 30, 2012, 12:22:07 PM
Project V?  Any demos you can link me?  Your vero action is pure ninja... nice work

Here ya go in case he doesn't see this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgLQBCsHfF4

8 transistors! Mwa ha ha.

It's got a bit of a stuck wah through a Muff sound in some settings. Interesting ...

LaceSensor

cheers guys

Yeah its a good pedal and you are right on the filtered big muff sounds
there is really 4 very different sounding settings in here offered by the switches, and the attack control almost acts like a gate setting, cutting sustain when its lowered

really a nice effect I think
i didnt make any demos myself, regretting that now.

lincolnic

I hate to practice thread necromancy, but I've got a question about this specific circuit. I really want to build one of these, and I read through the FSB thread but I'm a little confused about a couple of things.

I know there were two (or three?) vero layouts done up, but only the final one is visible on FSB now. (This one: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/digi2t/veros/WEM+Project+V/WEM+Project+V_Layout_2.jpg.html) I saw that you used an earlier layout, but maybe you remember building this guy. On the layout, there are connections for -9V and +9V. Does this pedal need a bipolar power supply? I don't see a Road Rage or anything in your build (or anyone else's on FSB), so I thought that maybe the -9V was actually supposed to be ground, but there's another connection for ground, so I'm confused.

Also, I see you left the inductor off on your build. Any reason to use it, or not?

Lastly, a couple of questions specific to your own build - what size enclosure did you use? And do you remember which transistors you used?

Sorry for the barrage over a year after you made this - hopefully you haven't forgotten by now.

lincolnic

Actually, I forgot one other question - what's going on with R9/R10 and R16/R17? I can't quite tell from the layout and your picture if these resistor pairs are each sharing one connection on the board between them, or if they're soldered together in series and not touching the board between them at all.

Thanks!

Bret608

Hey lincolnic, I want to let you know in case you're interested, Ian Sherwen of Ghost Effects had done some PCBs for this circuit. Let me hop over to ILF and see if I can find out whether or not there are any left.

lincolnic

Thanks Bret, I actually already exchanged some emails with Ian. Unfortunately it's not really cost-effective for me to buy the PCB from him right now, but I also got ahold of Dino (who made the layout I linked to) and he was able to answer my questions. So I'm good to go! At some point I'd like to build Ian's version of the circuit too, but for the moment I'm going to stick to vero for this one.

Bret608

Cool! Can't wait to see it. I actually listened to the whole Eno album on YouTube just so I could hear that fuzz in action.

lincolnic

I'm really excited to build this one up. I've been trying to figure out the guitar sound on the title track for a long, long time, and I only stumbled across the info that it was the Project V the other day. Next time I order parts, this is going first on the list of things to build.

kurmudgeon

lincolnic, I too plan on building one of these. Can you share what Dino told you?

lincolnic

Quote from: kurmudgeon on September 05, 2013, 06:41:52 PM
lincolnic, I too plan on building one of these. Can you share what Dino told you?

Absolutely. It's a lot less complicated than I was making it out to be, no bipolar supply needed. Basically, you wire it up much like the Pepper Spray example in the standard MBP wiring diagram - the -9v connection goes to the negative terminal on your DC jack, and the "Shielding/Case Ground" connection is the ground connection that goes to your 3PDT.

As for R9/10 and R16/17, Dino said they're sharing one connection on the board between them. He told me they're sharing the same pad, but I personally had trouble fitting both resistor leads in the same pad, so I put them in adjacent ones and soldered them together on the bottom of the board.

Also, be very careful that your caps aren't too big for your enclosure, and plan your layout carefully before you drill...I didn't, and now I need another enclosure to box this up properly.

kurmudgeon

Thanks very much for the tips, much appreciated