News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Runt that almost Killed me

Started by spaceboss, September 02, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboss

Well not the Runt.  :D That was the easy part.  But I've been stuck on this one for awhile.

First was the Stage Fright that I haven't been able to de-bug yet. 

Then there was the EXTREMELY poor pre-drilling measurements. The jacks, knobs, power jack, could not be any closer literally.

Then there was the non standard switching system that took me a couple of tries to get right (never could get it to work with APIS clone, even though the klone works fine on the test rig. I suspect a grounding issue: or trying to jam the dual concentric pot into that space against it's will. I like the Wicked Switching sytem. It's like a relay system without the expensive parts.

Fortunately I had a three knob little Runt which was ready to fit the bill, and the 9mm pots were absolutely necessary.

The box is a combo etch, alcohol ink deal, that's been done for quite awhile.

I'm starting to feel a little comfortable creating original art in Inkscape now. Here's the guts. Terrible for sure, but I just wanted to get this thing working solidly, close it up, and then never open it again!

8) So glad this one is done.

Next up is a Harbringer one which fired right up the first time!

Cheers!

James

jimilee

Quote from: spaceboss on September 02, 2013, 11:23:13 PM
I just wanted to get this thing working solidly, close it up, and then never open it again!

8) So glad this one is done.

That's my last 2 builds for sure. This looks great on the outside!! What's the switching system?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matt

Love the etch and of course the arcade style button for the on/off!
Matt

DutchMF

Awesome dude! Sometimes the best things happen through a series of mistakes and setbacks.... I really like that grungy sci-fi/myhtology style you got here!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Ettore_M

Hey spaceboss! Really impresive build! I just love the box! :)

I think most of the messy wiring job is because of the switching system. It adds quite a few wires!

I'm really happy to see an actual build report with the Wicked Switch. How do you like it? Do you hear any tone sucking comparing to your testing rig?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

alanp

Also interested in a report on how the WS works :)

Perhaps "the pedal that would not die"?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

spaceboss

The wicked switch works great, there's no audible pop or anything. Ettore and LaceSensor made it possible in this thread (thanks much!):

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10922.0

The vero works except (unless it is updated after today's date) the infx and outfx wires are reversed.

I don't know if there is any tone suck. My test rig doesn't have a true bypass switch. I don't hear anything untoward, although I would never profess to having golden ears either.

I still need to measure the current draw--as I was asked to do in the other thread, but I left my multi-meter on (doh) and need to get new batteries for it.

I'm going to keep using the WS for the foreseeable future, as I really like the clickless way of switching effects in and out seamlessly. It feels very natural and is much less expensive than most of the current relay solution: although I've seen some cheap ones.

Never played a Rat before this one either. There are some seriously cool classic sounds in that box, it's got a huge range of tones.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words folks. This place could quite possibly be the nicest community on the Web.

James