News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

op amp adapter

Started by garfo, September 03, 2013, 01:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

Hey, Ive checked this guys vídeo on youtube testing a ggg Marshall blues breaker.He says he uses an op amp adapter to run an tl072 and a lf 353 in parallel.is it the same as stacking?

selfdestroyer

Matt

Unless they are doing something I'm not yet aware of, it's the same thing.  If the pinouts on the ICs are the same, you can actually stack them on top of each other and just tack the legs with solder.  The beavis audio site has some info on this in the screamer lab section.
Matt

garfo

The vídeo itself is not important.he just says it on the comments.he says he uses an opamp adapter to run two ice at the same time.i thought it was a fancy way of stacking

kothoma

garfo

Quote from: kothoma on September 03, 2013, 07:59:41 AM
in parallel = stacking
Well, I said parallel, but actually the guys says running two opamps at the same time, which leads me to believe in parallel.

RobA

It probably is stacking, but he could be doing a bit more. In the OD/Distortion design I just finished and sent off for prototype boards, I use a  kind of two op amps at the same time (in parallel) but the gain structures are shifted between the two.  It can be similar to stacking, but has a bit more versatility. Did he add knobs to the standard layout?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimijam

there are adapters that can take 2 single opamps like tlo71's and make a dual one ike a tlo72, or two dauls into a quad. etc. I got a link to  a site that sells all kinds of adapters like that. I'll try to find it and post it here

here it is...http://cimarrontechnology.com/ all sorts of nutty adapters.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!