News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

38. CORNISH SS2 + switchable buffer [NON-MADBEAN]

Started by Liustucru, September 03, 2013, 04:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello,
I'm back to work and back to the build report section.
Here's a project I built before holidays. It's a Pete Cornish SS2 overdrive with switchable Cornish buffer between the input jack and the SS2. So the buffer can be always ON in my pedal chain I want it to AND I DO WANT IT TO. I was very surprized about how clean it is. I had only true bypass pedals before I did want buffers to make a mess with my fuzzes. And it didn't !!!

Let's get back to the SS2. It is the sweetest overdrive I've played with by far. It sounds gorgeously with the neck pickup for sirupy solos without any harsh treble. I didn't do any mods to add bass in the circuit since I've liked it that way. The sound remains clear whatever complex chords you're playing. I use it almost first in my FX chain to take advantage of the buffer, to have a main low/mid gain overdrive and also to kick the next drives and fuzzes.

The finish is simply done with a light hand-sanded 1590BB enclosure which I previously machined with a core drill of different diameters. I applied some sparkle blue paint before sanding the enclosure. I wanted some kind of stellar look with the circles and LEDs. I chose a non conventional layout for the knobs and switches and I think it looks great (at least for me).
I added the labels with my usual rubber stamps and Stazon ink.

Hope you like it !!!

PS : I regularly (everyday) take a look at the forum even if I don't post many comments and I have to admit that the level is very very high. I've seen lots of great builds and I think that the contests are pushing everybody higher and higher. It inspires builders who thus learn lots of great stuffs from here. So thank you !!!

pedalhealer

Wow...very nice finish!!! How made the labels? (buffer, gain etc).
www.pedalhealer.com
instagram: pedalhealer_dot_com

pickdropper

Wow, do I dig this enclosure.

It very much fits with a style that I appreciate.  The backfill color for the circles is PERFECT.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Liustucru

Quote from: eldzsi on September 03, 2013, 05:50:25 AM
Wow...very nice finish!!! How made the labels? (buffer, gain etc).

Quote from: Liustucru on September 03, 2013, 04:51:38 AM
I added the labels with my usual rubber stamps and Stazon ink.

;)

Liustucru

Quote from: pickdropper on September 03, 2013, 05:52:31 AM
Wow, do I dig this enclosure.

It very much fits with a style that I appreciate.  The backfill color for the circles is PERFECT.

Actually, some of your builds inspired me for the finish of this one !!!
I'm honored you like it  ;)

Cortexturizer

I adore this one, might be the prettiest I've seen from you! Awesome stuff
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

hylandren

A dynamite build throughout!
I am not at all familiar with the stamping/ink thing.
Question: I am guessing that if you mess up a stamp, you just remove it with acetone or something and do it over. But say you mess up a stamp in one area of the enclosure's top, how do you correct that without affecting or possibly ruining other stamped area(s) near it?

jkokura

Brilliant job. Inside and out, I really like that.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

micromegas

those rubber stamps look sexy as hell.... I think I'm going to get a set for myself...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

dc001013

Wow! Stellar build inside and out! I've got a few questions regarding this.

1. What type of "core drill" machine would be needed to do the fine circles like that? Do you have access to one, made one, etc..

2. Exactly what brand and color paint did you use for the blue?

3. Could you post a pic of the ink stamps you use AS WELL as the ink you use? I've been to several hobby shops but can't ever figure out which to get, whether I'd be able to stamp a word in a STRAIGHT even line, what type of ink and/or color to get and if any other accessories are needed!

4. Last, does ANYONE know of a PCB available for this or possibly willing to do one? I'm sure it'd be a pretty big seller. The G2 would also. I've haven't attempted a vero build close to this size nor do I have the time.

Thanks in advance!

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

I don't know a lot about this overdrive, but your version makes me want to know more. I think the way you carried out your vision for this is pretty inspiring. Even the LED color looks the same as the color you filled in on the drill marks!

I really like this light sanded bare metal look. I may try it out on my Lowrider. I wonder if it would still look good with a waterslide decal and gloss clearcoat.

micromegas

I love almost all the demos I've heard of this pedal on youtube. I wonder how well would a Baxandall tonestack work with this topology...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

lincolnic