News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

38. CORNISH SS2 + switchable buffer [NON-MADBEAN]

Started by Liustucru, September 03, 2013, 04:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Love this. Design. Knob selection. Internals.

Definitely want to try that idea with the core drill.

selfdestroyer

Great attention to details. I love the color scheme and the layout of the controls.

televisiondown

Your builds never disappoint. I love the way you drilled those circles! So cool
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

hoodoo

Cool as, mate, first time i've seen  holesaws used on an enclosure, works a treat, very neat stamping too, all the best, Matt.

Liustucru

Quote from: hylandren on September 03, 2013, 06:16:26 AM
A dynamite build throughout!
I am not at all familiar with the stamping/ink thing.
Question: I am guessing that if you mess up a stamp, you just remove it with acetone or something and do it over. But say you mess up a stamp in one area of the enclosure's top, how do you correct that without affecting or possibly ruining other stamped area(s) near it?

Answer: if you apply the ink (Stazon ink) on a bare enclosure and you make a mistake or you're not satisfied with the result, you can remove the ink using some chemicals. I use cleaner to clean the stamps. But if the enclosure is painted, if you want to remove the ink you will remove the paint too.
So you only have one try ! You can practice on a piece of paper before labelling your pedal.

Liustucru

Quote from: dc001013 on September 03, 2013, 07:48:39 AM
Wow! Stellar build inside and out! I've got a few questions regarding this.

1. What type of "core drill" machine would be needed to do the fine circles like that? Do you have access to one, made one, etc..

2. Exactly what brand and color paint did you use for the blue?

3. Could you post a pic of the ink stamps you use AS WELL as the ink you use? I've been to several hobby shops but can't ever figure out which to get, whether I'd be able to stamp a word in a STRAIGHT even line, what type of ink and/or color to get and if any other accessories are needed!

4. Last, does ANYONE know of a PCB available for this or possibly willing to do one? I'm sure it'd be a pretty big seller. The G2 would also. I've haven't attempted a vero build close to this size nor do I have the time.

Thanks in advance!

1. I work in an aeronautical research lab so we have access to milling machines. The core drills I used look like this one : http://www.usinenouvelle.com/expo/scie-trepan-en-hss-m-p159473.html
I think the technical word is TREPAN ?!? We have different diameters. I was lucky because drill size of the center hole is smaller than the diameter of the pots, switches... In order to make a circle, you have to drill a hole at the center ;-)

2. I only use the cheapest paint in spray can you can find in any local stores in France. Here's the picture:

I like the idea of doing all by myself even if it is not perfect. Since I've been just building pedals for myself and friends, it is OK  ;)

3. I found the stamps on eBay.fr from a french scrapbooking seller. Here's the picture:

4. Madbean's Darkside was a PCB for the G2 but it's not available anymore. I think GuitarPCB has a G2 PCB !?! Concerning the SS2 I found the vero layout easily on google. It is very simple to build (in comparison with the G2!!!). But if Jacob is thinking about doing a PCB, just buy him one !!!

DON'T BE AFRAID OF VERO BUILDS !!!
Even if PCB is much simpler and cleaner !!!

Liustucru

Thank you to all other kind comments !!!
What a good way to end summer vacation  ;)

richard_mcg

jimijam

great build. I just finished a build of this circuit and I'd agree that it's a dandy little drive box. very lively!
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

catfud

This is a really fabulous looking build. That lettering in the photos of the enclosure looks so much as though it has been etched and inked - this must be a trick of the eye though if you used the ink stamps (they *are* on the surface, and not recessed, right?)

Liustucru

Quote from: catfud on September 07, 2013, 05:56:59 AM
This is a really fabulous looking build. That lettering in the photos of the enclosure looks so much as though it has been etched and inked - this must be a trick of the eye though if you used the ink stamps (they *are* on the surface, and not recessed, right?)

The stamps are simply applied on the surface of the enclosure  ;)
The ink is not uniform on the surface and can give that feeling.

Glad you like this build.
Thank you.