News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Germanium fuzz pedal

Started by Darkknigh_t, September 02, 2013, 09:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkknigh_t

Greetings.
I have a pair of ge ac128 matched for the fuzz face a 500k and a 1k pot resistors capacitors and a stripboard. I could make a pcb. Now i wanna build a nice greasy fuzz pedal. I know you guys are pros so do you have any recommendations on what to build? Schematics and layouts would be nice. If its a fuzz face you recommend could you post a link of the schematic cause there are alot of versions. :) thank you very much!

jkokura

Define Greasy? ;)

If you can be a little more specific, that would be helpful. I really like the Companion Fuzz, and the Standard Fuzz as great 'crazy' fuzzes you can build. The Fender Blender is also pretty cool.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Darkknigh_t

Well something like the woolly mammoth. Im building the cut down version with 2 knobs from the tagboards webiste but that uses si trannys i want to use my ac128 i built a fuzz factory for a friend its great but 5 knobs meh i want something that will be fuzz to the max no fiddling with knobs turn on destroy and turn off :)

jkokura

The Fuzz Factory could also be a great build idea for you, especially if you tone down the five knobs by using trimmers internally. Set it up so you like where it's at, then you can just turn it on and off and leave the fuzz and volume controls externally.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

What are the gains like on the transistors you have? If they're higher gain, you could do a simple PNP Fuzz Face build, but make some tweaks to boost the volume, etc. That should be pretty massive sounding. JakeFuzz knows a lot about how to tweak the Fuzz Face circuit to produce different sounds.

Like Jacob says, if you're after something crazier you could go for one of the massive silicon fuzzes out there like a Standard Fuzz. Personally, the combination of silicon transistors and germanium diodes is my favorite at the moment (Standard Fuzz, Tone Machine, Blender, etc.). But if I were you, those AC128s would be burning a hole in my parts bin as well!  :)

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: Bret608 on September 05, 2013, 07:17:17 AM
What are the gains like on the transistors you have? If they're higher gain, you could do a simple PNP Fuzz Face build, but make some tweaks to boost the volume, etc. That should be pretty massive sounding. JakeFuzz knows a lot about how to tweak the Fuzz Face circuit to produce different sounds.

Like Jacob says, if you're after something crazier you could go for one of the massive silicon fuzzes out there like a Standard Fuzz. Personally, the combination of silicon transistors and germanium diodes is my favorite at the moment (Standard Fuzz, Tone Machine, Blender, etc.). But if I were you, those AC128s would be burning a hole in my parts bin as well!  :)
The ac128 are high gain. The thing is germaniums give me a vintage like fuzz which sounds amazing but i want the grease i want that when i turn my pedal on your kindes start to move. I need to build a perfect fuzz face then and a woolly mammoth so i have both. Do you have any fuzz face schematics that are good? Or maybe a base one thats good so i can tweak one? :)
Thank you

midwayfair

Quote from: Darkknigh_t on September 05, 2013, 08:33:48 AM
Do you have any fuzz face schematics that are good? Or maybe a base one thats good so i can tweak one? :)
Thank you

Well, this one's pretty standard ...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Mangler/docs/Mangler.pdf

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: midwayfair on September 05, 2013, 08:40:50 AM
Quote from: Darkknigh_t on September 05, 2013, 08:33:48 AM
Do you have any fuzz face schematics that are good? Or maybe a base one thats good so i can tweak one? :)
Thank you

Well, this one's pretty standard ...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Mangler/docs/Mangler.pdf

Thank you im still new here so i need to learn all the names of madbean pedals :) il build a vero of this and try it out :)