News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

recommendations for a low to mid end condenser mic

Started by stecykmi, September 04, 2013, 02:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stecykmi

Hey all, I wanna start tracking vocals more seriously so I'm in the market for a good large diaphragm condenser. Price range is $200 to $300 (maybe a little higher for just the right mic), I'm not opposed to buying used, but I wanna stay clear of the "vintage" market because I don't really have the time to maintain old equipment and I'm also looking for a bright, hi-fi sound.

I will primarily be recording female vocals (although my vocalist has an amazing range, very strong in both the bass and treble range), but good sounding male vocals are important. I would also like it to serve double-duty for recording percussion, cymbals and misc (hi hats, crash, piccolo snare, wood blocks, etc). I like the idea of a mic that is sensitive all the way up to 20kHz (and also sounds good in that range), so that's something I'm interested in, but I'm not 100% sure that's necessary.

I was looking at the Audio Technica AT4040 and the Shure KSM32. Both seem nice (I would have to try and find used ones to meet my cost requirements), I have used the AT4040 for flute in a live situation and I was impressed with the sound and quality but I didn't get to put it fully through it's paces being live and all.

Any ideas guys?

jkokura

I highly, highly recommend the AT4040. It's not a low budget mic. For the money, I don't think you can find better. I have been able to purchase 2 of the 3 I've owned via the used market, and I got one for $300 with an AT4041 (so 150 each) and another for $175. Go for one if you can, cause it's a great mic. If you can step up to the 4050, that's also worth doing.

I use a pair of AT4040s, and a pair of Beyerdynamic mics for recording drums. Using the Glyn Johns method, I get a very, very good drum sound to my ears. Not a lot of isolation between sounds though, but if you're going to just record a full kit, or just a couple pieces, it works really, really well. I've also used the 4040's for vocals (female and male), guitar cabs, bass, acoustic guitars, and nothing has ever turned out poorly.

Honestly. Of the 12 different </=$300 LDCs I've used, the AT4040 is the most versatile and the highest quality I've used.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

My opinion when it comes to mics is nearly useless, but given that, I have the AT3035 which is now out of production. I like it quite a bit. I think the 4040 is supposed to be an upgraded replacement for the 3035.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

soldersqueeze

We've got a couple of Blue Bluebirds in our studio for vocals and I think they sound great. I'm not hugely experienced in such things but they might be worth a look. Plus, they look freaking awesome  ;D  (the included cradle isn't great though)

junkemail86

My personal condenser mic preferences:
Vocals - Rode NT1-A or NT1000
Guitar amp - Studio Projects B1

stecykmi

Quote from: jkokura on September 04, 2013, 03:41:05 PM
I highly, highly recommend the AT4040. It's not a low budget mic. For the money, I don't think you can find better. I have been able to purchase 2 of the 3 I've owned via the used market, and I got one for $300 with an AT4041 (so 150 each) and another for $175. Go for one if you can, cause it's a great mic. If you can step up to the 4050, that's also worth doing.

I use a pair of AT4040s, and a pair of Beyerdynamic mics for recording drums. Using the Glyn Johns method, I get a very, very good drum sound to my ears. Not a lot of isolation between sounds though, but if you're going to just record a full kit, or just a couple pieces, it works really, really well. I've also used the 4040's for vocals (female and male), guitar cabs, bass, acoustic guitars, and nothing has ever turned out poorly.

Honestly. Of the 12 different </=$300 LDCs I've used, the AT4040 is the most versatile and the highest quality I've used.

Jacob

cool, i had a feeling this mic was a strong contender for the price. My percussion recording would just be single instrument patterns or individual hits for sequencing and sampling purposes.

lincolnic

I haven't used a 4040, but I use the AT4033 all the time. It can get a little too bright up around 7k for some sources, but most of the time it's really nice. A couple of years ago I never would've put a condenser on a bass amp, but the 4033's become one of my go-tos.

gingataff

good suggestions so far but make sure you budget for a vocal booth/room treatment if you haven't already done so.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

midwayfair

You can get an SM-7 for under $300 used. Most studio vocals I've ever recorded used that mic. I know it's not exactly the same kind of mic you were looking for, but it's seriously one of the best things you can stick in front of male vocal chords at any price.

jkokura

Quote from: midwayfair on September 05, 2013, 06:29:22 AM
You can get an SM-7 for under $300 used. Most studio vocals I've ever recorded used that mic. I know it's not exactly the same kind of mic you were looking for, but it's seriously one of the best things you can stick in front of male vocal chords at any price.

Not just used in recording. It's a standard in Radio Broadcasting and in TV overdub work as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on September 05, 2013, 06:29:22 AM

+1. The SM7 is a dynamic, but it's a great mic. I wouldn't put it on percussion, though - it's got lots of character, but not enough detail in the highs.

stecykmi

Quote from: gingataff on September 05, 2013, 02:54:24 AM
good suggestions so far but make sure you budget for a vocal booth/room treatment if you haven't already done so.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

good tip and i would love to do this, but my vocal booth is my bedroom closet haha. i don't have the space for anything more complicated.

stecykmi

Quote from: lincolnic on September 04, 2013, 08:28:57 PM
I haven't used a 4040, but I use the AT4033 all the time. It can get a little too bright up around 7k for some sources, but most of the time it's really nice. A couple of years ago I never would've put a condenser on a bass amp, but the 4033's become one of my go-tos.

ya the 4040 also has a ~3dB bump at 7kHz and 12kHz that I thought was strange when i was looking at the datasheet.

das234

Another model that's similar to the ATs that were mentioned is the AKG Perception 420.  Might be worth checking out.  I've got one that I like but personal preference is king.  The Rode NT1A is also nice.

pappasmurfsharem

I have reasonable results from a sterling audio ST55.

It's the replacement for groove tubes gt55

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2