News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer volume.

Started by aballen, June 30, 2013, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I've built a couple of kingslayers, and they sound great.  I've noticed something weird about them though.

When plugged in to a solid state amp, they volume is loud, but not out of hand, can actually get it to unity with some good gain dialed in. 

When plugged in to a tube amp the gain is out of hand.  Its like this with any amount of gain dialed in.  Reducing the volume does not do enough.  This is for my build and one I built for a friend.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there anything I can do about it?  I want the gain cranked, but the corresponding boost to the volume is just too much.

forsbach

You might try a different taper on your gain pot. Try an audio log pot instead of the suggested linear pot. You'll have more play on the front of the knob before it starts overdriving. Audio log pots are abeles with an A and the liners are labeled with a B.

aballen

Maybe I'm just being thick here.  I mean it is an overdrive pedal, and the overdriven sound is what I love about it.

Is this something that the buffered bypass would help with, or is the volume jump simply what I should expect from a good overdrive?

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on September 08, 2013, 12:55:56 PM
Maybe I'm just being thick here.  I mean it is an overdrive pedal, and the overdriven sound is what I love about it.

Is this something that the buffered bypass would help with, or is the volume jump simply what I should expect from a good overdrive?

The Kingslayer has a huge amount of output, and yes a good overdrive should be able to overdrive an amp. The part where it's not loud going into a solid state amp and NOT being loud is the anomaly. There shouldn't be an impedance mismatch, though ... solid state amps are still made to take a guitar input, and the Kingslayer's output impedance is ~1-11K.

aballen

do you think re-wiring for buffered bypass could help?

wstimson

No, I wouldn't expect it to.  That would really just change whether or not the buffer is used when the pedal is off.
Shouldn't have any impact on how loud the pedal is when it's on.

It is a loud pedal, though.  You're not wrong.  I haven't used mine in a while, but I felt like you could get it under control... you just had to turn the volume down pretty low.