How to build and Use a Basic Testing Rig

Started by jkokura, February 13, 2011, 09:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

morkmango

Quote from: Bret608 on December 11, 2013, 08:43:05 AM
Hey, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here--I've been using one of these basic rigs for more than a year now. However, for the first time I've tried hooking a PNP fuzz up to it, and one powered by a battery no less. Can someone tell me what would be the right way to do this? I had gone with the reversed power and ground leads method before. It worked but the circuit didn't sound its best. So now, I have only the in and out leads from the box attached and have the battery taking care of power and ground duties. Is that incorrect? I'm only getting clean signal through. As this won't be the last PNP fuzz I build, I thought it'd be good to nail down a good methodology now.

I didn't see anyone respond to this... I am in the same situation. I built the testing rig... but need to use it for a PNP effect (the Bumblebee).... problem is, I forgot about this and went ahead trying test it with the rig anyway... hope I did not mess anything up!

All I got was a somewhat dirty signal.

jkokura

Depending on what circuit it was, if it uses -9V power you could essentially swap the power and ground from the testing rig. Otherwise, I would recommend hooking your effect up to a 9V battery instead of the testing rig.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CodeMonk

This is a very simple, basic "Bypass Box" I built 5 or 6 years ago:
Alligator clips for Input, Output, +V, Ground, with an LED and a bypass switch.
Easy to go from guitar > bypass box - breadboard > amp.

From this picture you should be able to see that the alligator clips are soldered onto a board I etched with 4 straight and wide traces.
2 screws, some solder, and a lot of hot glue hold it all together.

And now I can't seem to find my "Audio Probe 2.0" I built a few days ago  >:(
Did find the crappy "Audio Probe 1.0" I built awhile back though.
And I have a board I need to trace tonight  :(
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

alanp

Those look like morse code tapping switch things :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Protip: when testing a new circuit for the first time, make sure you turn up its volume knob before freaking out about not getting any sound.

davent

Quote from: lincolnic on April 18, 2015, 09:22:11 PM
Protip: when testing a new circuit for the first time, make sure you turn up its volume knob before freaking out about not getting any sound.

Turn  the effect knob up but turn your amp all the way down so there's no ear splitting surprises, then crack the amp open a bit.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cdevor88

Sorry for the bump on this ancient thread, but does someone have the pictures that were uploaded in the first post?  They aren't there anymore.

lego4040

I know this is a old thread but I want to build this, the pics no longer show up and I have a question. Ill make a enclosure like i'm making a pedal, The in/out jacks will be grounded to the enclosure like normal via the sleeve. I am to solder the negative of DC jacks sleeve solder lug and then a grounding alligator wire there as well. That will be used to ground pcb board. I have almost everything and a small LCD meter panel coming

jkokura

All the grounds have to be connected in some way. If you wire your DC to the board, and a ground wire to one of the jacks from the PCB, that will mean that the DC and PCB are grounded to the enclosure. If your jacks ground via contact that is. If you have isolated jacks you'll have to find an alternate way.

Hopefully that makes sense. PM me or email me if you have more questions.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

lego4040

I got it up and running and its so much easy. I added a LED Voltage display to display what I'm sending to pcb after the "Beavis Dying battery simulator" Using a B10K pot I can vary whats coming out of the wall wart.

jimilee

Hey Jacob, do you still have the images for this? I was telling someone who is just getting started about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Quote from: jimilee on September 07, 2021, 06:06:09 AM
Hey Jacob, do you still have the images for this? I was telling someone who is just getting started about it.

Which images do you mean? The build docs are found here: http://jmkpcbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/The-Testing-Rig.pdf
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimilee

Oh, is that what the images in the first post was? I was thinking it was the more basic one which basically included 2 input jacks, a DC jack and some alligator clips with wires in them. I tried to explain how to build it and included pictures, but it didn't translate very well apparently.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Quote from: jimilee on September 07, 2021, 01:07:02 PM
Oh, is that what the images in the first post was? I was thinking it was the more basic one which basically included 2 input jacks, a DC jack and some alligator clips with wires in them. I tried to explain how to build it and included pictures, but it didn't translate very well apparently.

there's a video in the 2nd post. It used to be imbedded. I'll see what's up with it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*