News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer with GuitarPCB mods

Started by warriorpoet, September 11, 2013, 04:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warriorpoet

I wanted to try Madbean's take on the Klon Centaur, but with all of the mods I've come to love from building the MKC1.

Mods are: OPA4134UA (SMD on daughter board), bass contour knob, adjustable gain boost (with LED indicator).

Sounds awesome :)

I gotta say; this guy was a LOT to cram into a 125b.  I don't think I'll get away with any more than I have in there, but boy-howdy is it a fantastic space-saver on my board.  Stacks really nicely with a TODD and a Myton Blond, too.
Mzo.FX, Owner

alanp

... that is impressively clean. I don't know what the SMD chip does, but it looks really cool! :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

kothoma

selfdestroyer

Very cool looking.. +1 for using a transistor as a diode.

warriorpoet

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 11, 2013, 08:15:16 AM
Very cool looking.. +1 for using a transistor as a diode.

Those are 2N7000s; the same as what you find in an OCD or Zendrive.  Nothing original, but they sound good :)

@alanp
The SMD chip is just a drop-in replacement for the BOM IC.  I prefer the sound of the OPA2134PA to the original's TL072, so I wanted to do the same here.  Unfortunately, the OPA4134 is out of production in anything but an SMD chip, so I had to use an adapter and dive into SMD soldering to get the sound I want.  Tried the TL074, and the trouble for the OPA is worth it ;)
Mzo.FX, Owner

lincolnic

jubal81

Dunno how I missed this build, but I'd love to hear a demo.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Jabulani Jonny

Jonathan

mandrewbot3k

Is the gain boost just in series with the gain pot?

What values did you use?

I've got a 125b kingslayer build around the corner and was thinking of doing something similar.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

midwayfair

Your enclosure work is excellent and the wiring is really great, doubly so considering how much extra you put in there.

Quote from: warriorpoet on September 11, 2013, 12:29:48 PM
Those are 2N7000s; the same as what you find in an OCD or Zendrive.  Nothing original, but they sound good :)

Although I won't dispute that they sound good, they're working as generic silicon diodes at the moment -- MOSFETs conduct in both directions, and the lowest forward voltage in each direction will dominate the sound. You can just pull one (one direction of the remaining MOSFET will be a silicon diode drop and the other will be the "special" MOSFET clipping), or get fancy and add a diode in series with both. Here's a thread with all the relevant info and instructions on using MOSFETs as clippers.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=90474.0

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: midwayfair on February 08, 2014, 06:14:22 PM

Although I won't dispute that they sound good, they're working as generic silicon diodes at the moment -- MOSFETs conduct in both directions, and the lowest forward voltage in each direction will dominate the sound. You can just pull one (one direction of the remaining MOSFET will be a silicon diode drop and the other will be the "special" MOSFET clipping), or get fancy and add a diode in series with both. Here's a thread with all the relevant info and instructions on using MOSFETs as clippers.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=90474.0

Jon you rock. I was just getting ready to use some of these in the cerulean build from Aion and this is timely. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

jighead81

Where did you get the daughterboard for the SMD chip from?

rullywowr

Wow.  Great build, love the finish and all the mojo stuffed in there.  Excellent in every way!  Kudos on the quad opamp adapter, the extra switching, and overall neatness.

Thanks for also sharing the bit about the 2N7000 as a clipping diode...I just bought 1000pcs 2N7000 for another project and have to try this out now.   :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!