News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver Layout & IC question

Started by jphilly77, February 15, 2011, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphilly77

Nooby here. Ordered my PCB today for the Egodriver. I'm stoked about building a possible replacement for the real OCDv3 I stupidly sold on eBay last year. Rather than shell out 100+ dollars I'd rather go the DIY route because I enjoy the process so much. Much to learn, much to learn.

Question #1 - Are there any "layouts" available for the entire Egodriver project in addition to the PCB diagram?

I'm not a "schooled" tech/DIY person, meaning I don't know the proper lingo and big 50 cent words (not yet anyways) but I have built several pedals from BYOC and General Guitar Gadgets with no problems using their layouts and parts lists.

Question #2 - Since I would prefer to run the Egodriver on 18v I want to be sure my parts are capable of handling that voltage. I ordered all 1% metal film resistors, 25v or higher caps, and have yet to decide on the IC. I couldn't find the TL082 at Smallbear so I have an LF353N and an NE5532 on the way to try out first.

Thanks!

-jphilly77

oldhousescott

On the Projects page, click on the the link for the EgoDriver under the Archive heading. Open the version 3 pdf inside the zip file. There's a nice layout drawing in that file and the board connections are similar enough, you should be able to get by.

jkokura

Actually, that would be for madbean version 3, not version 3 of the OCD. Madbeans project is for the OCD version 4. I'd have to see the differences between the fulltone v3 and v4 schematics to be able to tell you what te differences are.

As for the IC, I didn't like the TL082. You should be fine with one of ICs you ordered.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jphilly77

Awesome. Thanks! I just checked out that diagram and that helps for sure.

So, 18volts is okay with those parts I listed earlier?

Thanks again!

-jphilly77

eniacmike

you can find tl082's at radio shack. Supposedly tl082's are noisier but some people say the noise is part of the magic (adds harmonics that aren't there).

jkokura

I read this again, not sure if I had it right. I thought the OP was asking after trying to build a Version 3 OCD clone. He might have been just looking for a version 3 madbean board as Scott mentioned. Sorry if I was contradictory Scott, I just read it differently.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

oldhousescott

No worries, I didn't really pay attention to his statement about the OCD version. It just so happened that the layout info was in Brian's v3 document.

I seem to recall there being a site that compared the different OCD versions, at least soundwise, if not in fact WRT component values. If it weren't so late, and I weren't so lazy, I'd look it up, but it's time for me to head to the barn.......

oldhousescott

Here's a link to a site that compared all four versions:

PedalArea OCD comparison

Also, right on Fulltone's site, there's a pdf of the changes from versions 1 through 3. I guess he hasn't updated it to reflect the changes in v4:

Fulltone OCD versions

B_of_H

i've done extensive testing of the egodriver and i've detailed my thoughts in some other threads on the subject.  the tlo82 can be found at any radio shack and it clips at around 11:00 at 9v.  if you run it at 18v then you can get the gain a little higher before clipping.  I think it's the best opamp for lower gain sounds of the many i've tried (probably around 20).  Many other opamps are too 'hi-fi' and allow some high end harshness through that the 082 doesn't have.  (tlo72 etc...) 

the jrc4580D allows you to really crank the pedal into high gain territory without clipping especially at 18v.