News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wire source

Started by madbean, March 08, 2011, 02:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I picked this up after seeing a link somewhere. It's 22AWG pre-tinned 7-strand (not pre-bonded). I'm quite pleased with this stuff. It's a teflon coating and does not shrink under heat. It is also stiffer than the normal 24AWG pre-bond stuff I use from Smallbear. A little pricey, but at 250', it will last quite a while. Here's a pic of it with a comparison to the smallbear roll.

ebay store: http://cgi.ebay.com/22-AWG-Silver-Plated-Teflon-Wire-250-Brown-/150544979391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230d2e15bf

He has other colors, too.

Mine:

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtr2

Thanks for sharing!   ;D  Of course every time I order from smallbear I pick up a roll of the prebond, so I've got a bit of stock. :D  But I'd like to try this stuff.

Josh

Edit: I just bought a white/black roll.  The nosy neighbors probably wonder what all these little packages are all the time.. He He...  Ouch I spent to much money already today and it's only 7:30am
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

The last few rolls of pre-bond I've bought from smallbear have actually not been pre-bond. The are tinned, but the strands are not bonded together like they used to be. I don't know if this is just bad luck on my part, but I've gotten three rolls like this. I don't like it so much this way as the bonding stiffens the wire up quite a bit, which I like.

This other stuff is also stranded, but I guess the thicker wire and teflon sheath make it a lot stiffer.

gtr2

It's funny you say that.  I noticed that happening on my red roll now that I think about it...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

StompIt

Brain,
That is so cool that you recommended this... I just ordered the EXACT same stuff from the EXACT same seller and its arriving today..

I will let you know how I like it...
(I was recommended this wire by John from http://www.basicaudio.net)

madbean

Yeah, I went with Brown because John is my hero  ;D

StompIt

Quote from: madbean on March 08, 2011, 11:30:12 AM
Yeah, I went with Brown because John is my hero  ;D

So did I !    His work is amazing......

night-B

Do someone know the shipping rates outside the US?
No answer from the seller.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for the source! I have tons of leftover wire from BYOC builds but it won't last forever.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

crash

Thanks for the link.  That is a hell of a lot cheaper than where I was buying my teflon wire from.

JeffdaMaori

Does anyone know if this could get shipped outside US? any experience there and shipping cost? cheers

night-B

I have asked the seller for shipping outside USA one week ago. No answer yet so I think he doesn't want to...

cjkbug

I got a roll of this stuff it's really nice. not too stiff but stays where ya put it. err...that sounds kinda dirty :-\
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

gtr2

I got my order in two days, but I live in the US.  Nice stuff!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

StompIt

I have used this wire on one pedal so far and I really like it.  The overall diameter is the same as the 24 guage.  Its very easy to form and keeps its shape.   Also, the thicker strands are more durable.