News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lunar Module

Started by croquet hoop, September 17, 2013, 05:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croquet hoop

After a few weeks playing with spiders (boards with pots, jacks & switches wired outside boxes), it was high time I started boxing stuff. So here is my first complete build, a Lunar Module in a 1590B. I thought the size of the box would make things easier but I did not realize that the more knobs, the more trouble... now I really understand why so many love board-mounted pots.

The board is from Pickdropper, the enclosure from ColesBD. No labels, as it's easy to remember what each pot does and I really love the understated look of the pedal. Likewise, I added a trimmer to the 3PDT board, but I ended up not using a led for the same reason (and it's a fuzz, I'll know when it's on). So I left the LED conector (at the bottom) empty. In the end I could just have used a DPDT, which I would have preferred since I really don't like the clunky feel of 3PDT switches, but hey. I'll probably replace the switch with an opto-tron board from Josh soon.

All in all, a great learning experience, despite (or because) a few bumps in the road. Now, the next builds are all intended to go in 1590A boxes, but maybe I'll start with 2-knobs effects this time  ;D

wolfingsworth

That's a very nice first build! I really like the knob choice. Your wiring isn't too shabby either!

pickdropper

Looks great, Croquet!  Nice job on the wiring and the enclosure color looks great.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

beautiful and simple. I have on of those boxes and was planning on using it for my rub-a-dub reverb with a big knob and no artwork.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

midwayfair

Heh, almost 300 posts, multiple eagle layouts, and finally your first box! :)

What are those knobs?

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on September 17, 2013, 08:39:17 AM

What are those knobs?

They look an awful lot like Eagle knobs.  If so, you can get them at mouser.  I think they are what Skreddy uses on his builds.  I used them on my Andromeda build as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Geosh

You have a part number?

Update: I think I found it: 45KN030 (or similar)

Quote from: pickdropper on September 17, 2013, 09:09:49 AM

Quote from: midwayfair on September 17, 2013, 08:39:17 AM

What are those knobs?

They look an awful lot like Eagle knobs.  If so, you can get them at mouser.  I think they are what Skreddy uses on his builds.  I used them on my Andromeda build as well.

croquet hoop

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Quote from: midwayfair on September 17, 2013, 08:39:17 AMHeh, almost 300 posts, multiple eagle layouts, and finally your first box! :)

What are those knobs?

Yep, as you say, finally ;D It's fun to build, test and play with circuits, but it's much more rewarding to go all the way and box them. I got the knobs from musikding, they have many different "15 mm alu knobs" but here are those used on this build: http://www.musikding.de/Aluminium-knob-15mm-black-mark

They are indeed very close to, if not the very ones Skreddy uses.

croquet hoop

Quote from: Geosh on September 17, 2013, 09:20:55 AMYou have a part number?

Update: I think I found it: 45KN030 (or similar)

KN030 is the 19 mm version, KN031 is the 15 mm. And 450-7031 is the 15 mm black version.