News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How many overdrives do you have?

Started by CapnCrunch, May 12, 2010, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnCrunch

Quote from: pauloman80 on July 28, 2010, 07:29:02 PM
Interested in an overdrive with a different voicing, would love to try the Timmy.  Have nearly enough info to build one, just debating if I want to open up that can of worms.  Friend of mine has one and loves it, wants a second so he'd be interested if I can build one.

Cloner or Thief?  I tire of that discussion.  There is nothing new under the sun.  I have nothing against Paul Cochrane, or Howard Dumble, or.............  If they could patent their product, they would (but they can't).  I respect the time, effort, and artistic ingenuity that guys put into effects and amps, but I really respect people like Ken Fisher, and the folks over Catalinbread who don't bitch and moan when someone wants to try to figure out how to build their product so they can understand why it sounds the way it sounds.  If they wanted an intellectual property right they could enforce, they should have produced a product they could patent.  Now, if someone is stealing their trademark, that's different.  I just find it a "little" hypocritical when people (who have borrowed heavily from the design of others, and they all have) treat their gadget like it is the first of its kind.

I say build it (and then tell me how you did it) ;)  Here's hoping this site aint like TGP, cause I really like it here and don't want to get banned :D  After all of that, I just recently got on the waiting list for a Tim......It never hurts to support the small guys either.

gtr2

I agree..(not to run the thread off the rails)  I'm all about learning.  I have a Tim pedal which is kicked off the board by my Lizzy (Serendipity).  I didn't wait for my Tim..I'm impatient...I fleabayed it for more than it's worth ::)  It's a great pedal, but I don't think it's the Holy Grail like some believe.  Just another flavor and it needs plugged in the same as the rest... ;)  When I get a little more daring and have more knowledge I'll crack it open and see what makes it tick.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

See, I really, really, really like the Timmy I built. It is perhaps the first pedal that I would consider replacing a tubescreamer with. I have always liked (loved) a good TS, and even as I sell them I'm constantly replacing them with new built ones.

Anyway, with all due respect, Paul has shared a lot of the details of how the pedal works, and has made sure the DIY community has access (albeit difficultly) to the right schem of the Timmy pedal. His stance is not to bitch and moan, but rather if people are going to clone his pedal that they better do it right, and they should do it on their own. What he has a big problem with people doing is making money of his design dishonestly. If you can read a schem, make a PCB, gather parts and put them in a box, he says that as long as you call it a timmy, he's fine with you building them. But, if you take that and start making lots of them and selling them - that's a HUGE no no.

I agree with him. I think his, and a few others, are special cases. I don't have a problem taking a DS-1 circuit, building it with better parts, making it a true bypass pedal or tweaking it out, and then selling it for money. Boss is huge, uses inferior parts and methods, and I can do better. Paul on the other had uses premium parts, True Bypass, is a husband and wife operation and pedal making is his sole income (as far as I last heard). Not to make a big deal of it or anything, but truthfully his is one of the most affordable bootik pedals out there and if you really want one and can't build one yourself - buy one. As the above poster made clear, it's often an investment and you can sell it for more money if you tire of it or figure out how to build your own.

I've had people ask me to make them Timmy's, and I always say no. I will build them anything else, but never a Timmy. I think Brian has the same stance.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mudfinger

I've only got the one TS Clone on my board right now, but that's going to be joined by a Mysterioso Jr. and a Neutrino very soon. I really like the sound of two Tube Screamers in series for the wild, wailing stuff, can't wait to have that back.

The Blackstone is a different animal; if I could have just one OD pedal, it would be that one, even over the TS variants.

jball85

irmcdermott

cjkbug

I've owned a ton of od's over the years, but have sold nearly all (Including a klon, bjfe honey bee, zen, 2 kot's and tim and timmy)of them since I have gotten better at building. there is so much Interesting stuff to build that I have gotten to the point where the stuff I have built is best for how I play. more often than not If I acquire something new. It's fun for a week or two then I'm ready to get rid of it. Ihave dozens of drive pedals but I usually only have 1 or two on my board at any one time, fuzz is a different story though. fuzz's seem to have a greater difference between their personalities.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

highway jones

How many I have depends on if I am chasing others' sounds (usually many pedals) versus creating my own (usually less).  I like chasing the Plexi sound in a pedal since it's a bit harder to tame a 50W Marshall at home. If I had to pick 3 ODs/fuzzes I would go with the Aristocrat (single), MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe and MI Audio Neo Fuzz.  

Off the board - Sonic Titan (clone), DIY Big Muff, BSIAB2, Eternity (clone), Zen Drive (clone), Dirty Bomb, modded DS-1, COT50 (clone), Purple Plexi (clone).....I have built ~ 20-30 others which I have traded or salvaged for parts.

On-board - BYOC TriBoost, MI Audio Neo Fuzz, MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe, Aristocrat, Sun King, Boneyard (currently trying this one out)

Next to build - Cosmopolitan, LaVanche, Boomstick

jball85

I dont have any fuzz pedals in the chain at the moment or ever, I was hoping to build a zombii since it seemed like the most versatile and most usable imo, but it turns out I waited too long. I'll have to learn how to etch now (sigh). I use my egodriver primarily which is boosted by my Monte modded SD-1 (gt mod must try). I built a neutrino but pawned it off on my rythm guitarist, it wasnt as transparent as the sd-1. I also just ebayed my keeley/mut modded ds-1, which no matter what I did could not sound decent enough to use. Drives take up too much real estate.

aflynt

I've got six. A modded Rat, a TS9, a Serendipity, a Sunking, a Yellow Shark, and a Son of Screamer Variant I etched and built back in 1998. I'm currently using two (the Serendipity and the Sunking), but that changes pretty frequently depending on what guitar or amp I'm using or what band I'm playing with. I just used the Rat and the SOS through a twin for a long time (like 8 years or so), then I went guitar->cord->amp for several years. Lately I've been experimenting with building different overdrives trying to get that cranked amp vibe happening in a more consistent way without being constantly asked to turn down. So far the Serendipity with an old JRC4558D seems to be getting me the closest.

-Aaron

gabu1306

Im rocking 5. Aristocrat, Sunking, Timmy V1, Hotcake, and modded Rat. They all get it done, for now..

Garrett

JakeFuzz

I would probably only practically use two (maybe three). I've run through a few; the ones I have now are the Timmy, a Fulldrive 2, a Sunking, a Lavache and a Screwdriver. Disassemble my yellow shark because it was too bright with my strats. If I had to pick one out of the lot I would say the Fulldrive 2, just unparalleled smoothness and great sustain. Ones I have tried or built for other people and really like are the SFT (on humbuckers only), the OCD and the RC booster.

Rich_S

Update from previous post.  Lemme see...  counting OD, distortion and fuzz?  Seven.

• SD-1 w. C6 mod (presently on board)
  • SD-1 w. homegrown HAM mod
  • Eternity clone
  • DS-1 Recto mod
  • DS-1 stock
  • RAT clone (presently on board)
  • BBE Free Fuzz
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

gtr2

Quote from: Rich_S on June 29, 2011, 07:00:21 PM
Update from previous post.  Lemme see...  counting OD, distortion and fuzz?  Seven.

• SD-1 w. C6 mod (presently on board)
  • SD-1 w. homegrown HAM mod
  • Eternity clone
  • DS-1 Recto mod
  • DS-1 stock
  • RAT clone (presently on board)
  • BBE Free Fuzz

Totally off topic...but...I wonder if the BBE Free Fuzz is hiding in the Freekish Blues Coily Fuzz  ::)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dwstanford