News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deciding on enclosure size.

Started by RobA, September 18, 2013, 01:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

I can imagine that this has already come up but I haven't found anything by searching. If this has been discussed before, please point me to a thread.

I've been working on laying out some PCB's and considering the pro's and con's of PCB mounted pots and switches and part of what keeps coming up in my head is consideration of box size since using PCB mounted kinda makes this decision for people. Also, top mounted versus side mounted jacks gets involved in this question too. And multi-pedal builds, and ...  :o

Anyway, the question is, how do you decide on an enclosure size? Do you have a rule like 2 pots in this size, 4 pots 2 switches in this size, etc? I really like the 125B size for things that will fit because I like top mounted jacks. But, I see lots of people using 1590B's and setting up for PCB mounted pots on the 125B can conflict with leaving enough room for side mounted jacks on  1590B's. Etc.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Clayford

Long story short - build it how YOU want it. Let everyone else worry about how they want to box it. I've got a a baby board in a 125B and two boards that were designed for a 125B going in a 1590BB (each), Because that's what I wanted to do with it.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

RobA

I agree but that's part of the reason I asked the question. Because I find it harder to wire a board mounted pot PCB with off board pots than it is to do with a PCB that has all of its off board wiring spots close to an edge. [This doesn't really apply to a PCB with only a couple of pots, but for one with a four, five, or six, it does matter some.]
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

I tend to agree, build it how you want it. I decide based on the size of the pcb though. I prefer the 1590b as it takes less room on my board which means more pedals on my board.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

Personally I like to try to pick an enclosure that is similar to the original pedal I'm trying to clone. Obviously that's not always easy i.e., round fuzz face enclosure, but there are so many enclosures available now. If you haven't looked at this site: http://www.pedalenclosures.com/, give that a try. There's some unique layouts and colors I haven't really seen anywhere else.

Clayford

+1 on pedal enclosures. I have a nice ONE that's now candy apple red, sitting here waiting on a Chunk Chunk to be built and stuffed into it.

I have only stuffed 1 pedal in the size box it was intended for. I've never used a board mounted pot. Mounting wires in PCB holes - Brian shows a very nifty trick for that on his ZPDX build. And I've never had trouble with flying leads in PCB pot holes.

Board mounted switches are a different story if they aren't PC mounts but solder lug.

juansolo

My general rule for boxing up is that it goes in the smallest box that can take the circuit and pots.

Within reason...

I'm still not a massive fan of 1590As so I tend to save them for effects that warrant it. Most things go into 1590Bs.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

RobA

Thanks for the input. Your replies and going through months and months of build reports have me leaning towards not using board mounted pots and switches. Although, personally I really do hate wiring DPDT switches off board. I don't mind wiring pots and SPDT switches off board at all though.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on top mounted versus side mounted jacks and use on pedal boards too. I'm assuming the 1590B votes are using side mounted? Do you fill the space up both vertically and horizontally on your boards?

juansolo

I always go board mounted when it's an option. It makes life massively easier.

Likewise, personally, I have a standard layout I do with the jacks and power in a 1590B. They're all like this:

This way when I come to box up the effect I do all the bottom half (it's usually a batch so I do them all in one hit), test it, then drop the effect in and it's only 4 wires at this point as it'll have already been tested and the pots are already mounted. Easy peasy.

Vallhagen

Quote from: RobA on September 18, 2013, 01:55:12 AM
... 125B [...]  1590B's. Etc.

I myself don't like 1590B, but I like 125B. In comparison, the 1590-s doesn't really save you any pedalboardspace, while 125B gives you those extra millimetres inside, to make filling it up with stuff more comfortable. And, i'm one of those guys who likes space.

(now I hope I didn't mix 1590 and 125... I always have to doublecheck which is which ... )

just my 2
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on September 19, 2013, 08:04:13 AM

Likewise, personally, I have a standard layout I do with the jacks and power in a 1590B. They're all like this:

This way when I come to box up the effect I do all the bottom half (it's usually a batch so I do them all in one hit), test it, then drop the effect in and it's only 4 wires at this point as it'll have already been tested and the pots are already mounted. Easy peasy.
Man, that is neat and clean. I can easily see your point in anything close to a production environment. Everything I build is a one off, so that certainly biases my perspective.

What would you view as a workable max number of controls on a B sized box?

Quote from: Vallhagen on September 19, 2013, 09:04:14 AM
Quote from: RobA on September 18, 2013, 01:55:12 AM
... 125B [...]  1590B's. Etc.

I myself don't like 1590B, but I like 125B. In comparison, the 1590-s doesn't really save you any pedalboardspace, while 125B gives you those extra millimetres inside, to make filling it up with stuff more comfortable. And, i'm one of those guys who likes space.

(now I hope I didn't mix 1590 and 125... I always have to doublecheck which is which ... )

just my 2
I've always got to check what my B, BB, DD, N, A, ZZ, XYZ, ... etc means :D. I'm pretty sure you've got them in the order you meant. I like the aesthetics of the 1590B over the 125B, but I really don't like working in them and I do prefer the top mount jacks. I've pretty much moved over to using 125B's whenever I can and I am getting more used to the look.

Gledison

Quote from: juansolo on September 19, 2013, 08:04:13 AM

neeeeeeat!!!
Juansolo, sorry for my ignorance, :P, what is the bottom pcb part? with the DPDT connected?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Gledison

Hey,
by the way, im facing exacly this problem now.
I thought i had everything well planned but got surprises. in a 159b i planed to fit a pcb mount Zombii Fuzz.
on the sides, it doesnt fit the DC jack side by side with the stereo audio jack. :S
I´ve ordered a new closed audio phone jack to see if it will fit, if not...hmm, i will need another solution..
But i´ve got your point. would be nice to have a "rule for enclosures".
I totally agree with the guys saying that you build how you want. Sure, but having in mind already the options, its quite helpfull!
Creativity is in my opinion, the cool part of building these pedals!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Clayford

Quote from: RobA on September 19, 2013, 09:57:58 AM

125B? I'd say 6. and it's tight. Look at Wampler's boxing.
1590B 4-5 depending . And it'd be tight.

Just my opinion. Feel free to have your own.

juansolo

Quote from: RobA on September 19, 2013, 09:57:58 AM

6 is doable.

Quote from: Gledison on September 19, 2013, 11:16:54 AMneeeeeeat!!!
Juansolo, sorry for my ignorance, :P, what is the bottom pcb part? with the DPDT connected?
cheers

It's one of Josh's Optotron boards. I use it in any build where it'll fit and is applicable. There are a few reasons. Good quality 3PDTs are not readily available in the UK for sensible money. The Alpha DPDT we use is very robust. It still grounds the input so no downside there and it makes the wiring exceptionally neat and tidy. Finally, it doesn't pop.