News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener wah for bass?

Started by Rockhorst, September 19, 2013, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

Could some of the bass afficionados here tell me how well suited is the Weener Wah for use with bass? Much obliged :)

timbo_93631

It is fine, just drop the value of the C5, C6, and C7 down to something like 56nf, 68nf and 82nf.  68nf is the value in a GCB-100 Crybaby for bass.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Clayford

I'll second those recommendations. Same values we used at the local music store for bass players when I was in highschool.

Recommend socketing R5 (stock is 1k5) and playing with it. It's your midrange sweep and you might benefit from changing it a little bit. Guitarists like 1k8 or 2k alot.
Play with C1 as well. .01u is stock - you'll get more bass out of your wah with a .012u .015u or .022u..
I think I have a rather nice .012 orange drop I could send you.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Rockhorst

Great! Thanks for the suggestions!

@Clayford: I have some orange drops lying around, but thanks for the offer :)

jimilee

Man...you guys are gonna make me build a wah aren't you?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Clayford

Jimilee - this is getting creepy :P

2 pedals you should have on the board if not in the closet. Fuzz and Wah.
You need one. You're just not allowed to enter it in the same contest as me.

Rockhorst

Just looking at the project again: I have both an old Weener I and a newer Weener II board. They seem quite different in resistor/cap values. The suggestions you made seem to refer to the Weener II. Any additional notes for using the Weener I for bass?

Clayford

I have been backlogged like a MOFO at work and school - let me look over both schems and I'll get you some values and where.

jimilee

Quote from: Clayford on September 20, 2013, 05:38:23 PM
Jimilee - this is getting creepy :P

2 pedals you should have on the board if not in the closet. Fuzz and Wah.
You need one. You're just not allowed to enter it in the same contest as me.
I have a newer dunlop bass wah and a green russian. I've just never built a wah.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Clayford

IF my over caffeinated and sleep deprived brain is reading the WWI schematic right... the FREQ control is taking the place of the c5-c7 suggestions... so leave that be. But it's mid-terms and work has been a demanding mistress on top of everything... I could be completely wrong. C1 is still C1 on both. That's a fact. Still recommend .12uf or .15uf for mo betta bass. Still a fact. I do also suggest socketing R2 and playing with values between 39k and 68k. Choice *should* affect output volume. I'm being nagged for date night and rightly so. Good luck!

Clayford

Quote from: jimilee on October 12, 2013, 09:29:05 PM
I've just never built a wah.
You should- it's fun! and maddening. You're just not allowed to enter it in the same contest as me.  :P

jimilee

Quote from: Clayford on October 12, 2013, 09:54:46 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 12, 2013, 09:29:05 PM
I've just never built a wah.
You should- it's fun! and maddening. You're just not allowed to enter it in the same contest as me.  :P
Hmmmm I"ve already got Octobers entry, do you? :-) So what inductor are you thinking of using?

Clayford

I have a Purple Devil - and when it's complete it will be called "The Stank"

jimilee

Quote from: Clayford on October 13, 2013, 05:16:44 AM
I have a Purple Devil - and when it's complete it will be called "The Stank"
nice

garfo

Quote from: jimilee on September 20, 2013, 05:14:56 PM
Man...you guys are gonna make me build a wah aren't you?
;D hehe, I've been thinking the same way