News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My First Babies!

Started by Vanderfuzz, September 26, 2013, 07:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanderfuzz

I finally built a couple of successful 1590a pedals.  My first attempt, a Smoothie, works fine but needs to be rehoused.  It keeps shorting out on the enclosure.  But these two...

Work!

Up first is a Hipster.  I used 2n4123 for Q1 and BC109 for Q2.  As discerning eyes can see, I melted my trim pot.  It still works, just not with a screwdriver.  Getting to 4.5v was a little more difficult (Fat Fingers + Tiny Enclosure = Aggravation).  The drilling is askew, but the PPP Blue Hammertone finish is exquisite.  I like this fuzz a lot.  Ultimately, I think I'm more of an overdrive kind of guy, but I seem to keep building fuzz pedals.  I've got plenty here around the house I've not posted.

This fella is a GrindCustoms Feng Drive in PPP Chocolate.  I'm surprised I got this all to fit, but learning from my mistakes with the Hipster (order of operations, wiring techniques, etc.), things worked out swimmingly.  Sounds amazing.  I love me some overdrive, and this guy really hits all the right marks.  Cleans up beautifully.  Along with my Egghead, I'm satisfied with my overdrive options (for the moment...).

There's always room for noise.

DutchMF

Congrats on a couple of cool builds dude!! Very clean looking! And regarding the one that keeps shorting, maybe some well-placed duct tape or foam (like the stuff IC's get shipped in usually) can cure that?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

I lined the back panel of one of my 1590A builds with electrical tape.

Nice looking babies, there. Be warned you'll want to see what else you can shoehorn in there now! :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

hylandren

Great looking builds!

Quote from: Vanderfuzz on September 26, 2013, 07:32:35 AM
My first attempt, a Smoothie, works fine but needs to be rehoused.  It keeps shorting out on the enclosure. 

I had the very same problem on my first (and so far, only) mini.
After I removed the lid to trouble shoot, I tried it again and it worked fine. You might try that, before you pull all the guts out.
Here's how I remedied it:

jimilee

Very cool builds. I'm so close to trying minis again.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.