News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oh no sdx

Started by ggarms, September 26, 2013, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

So life was great until this afternoon. I was playing the sdx this afternoon, currently unboxed. I pushed the repeats pot upward just a tad, and now I am only getting slapback, even when maxed. SO FRUSTRATED. I'm not sure if something else got bumped in the process. I took a voltage reading across the repeats pot and I'm only getting about 9k when maxed. The slam button also doesn't work. I tested both pt's in my rebote. They are fine. Any specific components I should be looking at to start? I'm not great with complicated schematic troubleshooting yet...  If you can offer any wisdom , oh pedal gods, please. I am in need and the next stop is my garbage disposal.

jkokura

I'd guess it could be a simple as a broken solder joint. Start by checking the ones for the pot.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ggarms

So I de and resoldered the pot. While it was unattached I checked resistance-50k. As soon as I attached it that number went back down to 9k.

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: ggarms on September 27, 2013, 06:42:10 AM
So I de and resoldered the pot. While it was unattached I checked resistance-50k. As soon as I attached it that number went back down to 9k.
measuring the resistance of the pot while its soldered wont give you a correct reading its like measuring the resistance of a resistor while its soldered. the problem must be somewhere else.

ggarms

Makes sense. Next step audio probe. My thought is to set the repeats at max and find where in the circuit I stop getting oscillation. Hopefully this will lead me to the buggy component. Could my 62 or 72 be bad? Would that cause the repeats to stop?

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: ggarms on September 27, 2013, 08:35:59 AM
Makes sense. Next step audio probe. My thought is to set the repeats at max and find where in the circuit I stop getting oscillation. Hopefully this will lead me to the buggy component. Could my 62 or 72 be bad? Would that cause the repeats to stop?
my suggestion would be to check the ics first because it worked first so it could have burnt out one of them at least

ggarms

Well, I checked the IC's-- Pin 5 of the 62 is rapidly fluctuating between 3 and 5 or so volts. Any thoughts? I swapped it out, and it did the same thing with another one

ggarms

or is this supposed to happen?

Darkknigh_t

search the forum there has to be proper voltages posted so compare them. if you have a suspicion check the components leading to the pin and check their solders.