News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LPB-1 SMD success!

Started by wolfingsworth, September 29, 2013, 04:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfingsworth

Last night  I was able to populate and test my SMD practice kit I bought from Paul (chromesphere) a few weeks ago. I was dragging my feet cause I didn't have any flux ( I was waiting to make an order from mouser). Although my method may not have been the best, it seemed to work just fine. I pre tinned the pads on the board, used a desoldering braid to get excess solder off the pads, and then used my flux core solder  on the tip of my iron, very carefully held the component in place with my Swiss Army knife tweezers, and heated up the pad until solder flowed and there was a good joint. Not the preferred method, but I did feel a bit Macguyverish and it was really satisfying when I plugged it in and it worked! I know it's not the biggest news, but I thought I would share to encourage those who want to try it out. I think  I actually like it!

billstein

Congratulations! I finished mine and now am trying to talk myself in to ordering the parts to do the boards I got from Pickdropper.

wolfingsworth

Thanks Bill! It was your thread that inspired me to go ahead and give it a shot.

pickdropper

Excellent!  But where are the pics?  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Thomas_H

Quote from: pickdropper on September 30, 2013, 12:00:13 PM
Excellent!  But where are the pics?  :-)

Yes, where are they?
Show us, please!
DIY-PCBs and projects:

wolfingsworth

Pics aren't that exciting but I'll try to get some up tonight.

haveyouseenhim

I just used a syringe filled with flux and it worked like a charm.   ;D

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

culturejam

^^ That's one of the best "meme" images I've seen in a LONG time. Well done!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chromesphere

Nice one Adam!  I think the hardest part of the build is getting over the initial shock of the size of the parts :)
If you pcb mount a 9mm pot onto that sucker you've probably got yourself probably the smallest boost circuit around?
For anyone reading that isnt sure what were talking about heres a link and shameless plug to my webstore page:

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12

Rewards come to the fearless :)
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

stevie1556

Free bump for Chromesphere. His SMD kit is excellent to try out SMD stuff!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!