News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More compression?

Started by JakeFuzz, February 17, 2011, 11:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gnarly

+1 for some interest in another compressor, I have the orange squeezer on the way but I'm interested in some other compression options.

mysticwhiskey

Just wanted to mention that I finished and confirmed the schematic for the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone a little while ago over at FSB, and the results are in that link to the FSB thread posted earlier.  Harald from Sabrotone made an awesome vero layout (with onboard pots no less!) - I built this vero and confirmed it working.

IMO the critical component on this circuit is the LDR/LED that controls the automatic gain adjustment.  I tried a couple of different LDR's I had laying around with difference characteristics, and found they didn't provide a quick enough reponse for a sudden hot signal, or didn't give enough gain for quiet signals.  The VTL5C6 as in the original pedal works fine though, so keep this in mind if you build it.  I don't know what LDRs would be suitable as a substitute, you'd have to look at the spec sheet for the VTL5C6 and compare to the LDRs.

crash

Cool, If we wanted get rid of the grit portion, is it as simple as eliminating everything between R14 and the Grit 100kB pot?  From your version 1.0 schematic.