News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One questions

Started by Gilmourisgod, September 28, 2013, 06:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilmourisgod

Bit of a noob question: Is the IC on the harbinger one board intended to be socketed, no mention of it in the build shopping list, is it just soldered to the PCB?

I was thinking of going for an old school look, big jewel glass amp style indicator lights, maybe big funky toggle switches. Is that likely to work in the 1590 enclosure recommended? Enough depth in the box for deeper switches?

madbean

Sockets are a matter of personal choice, so this is assumed in listing the BOM. Really, there is almost never a reason NOT to use sockets, and you can get them for about $.01 or .02 each from Tayda. I buy by the hundreds usually.

You will have difficulty using a very large lamp IF you want to use a 1590BB. I suggest going with the "Tall" version of the 1590BB in that case. It will afford all the extra room you need.

Gilmourisgod

A few more........
Id like to use a one-spot 9v adapter. As I understand the build docs, I will need to populate the filter PCB as shown, but replace R54 with a jumper or IN5817 diode, and omit C22 and D1. Will the deleted  C22 and D1 be left as empty spots on the PCB , or get jumpered?

Thanks for the help, ordering PCB tonight.

madbean

Omit = leave empty. Never jumper a power cap. That'll just send your supply to ground.

I've tested a 1-spot with the Harbinger and it works very well with no noise.

Gilmourisgod

Madbean,
Based on the build docs, using a One-Spot 9v power supply, I do the following:
1. Populate filter board with all the parts highlighted in green on the BOM, except R54, which gets jumpered. Any advantage/disadvantage to jumpering this resistor vs. replacing it with a 1N5817 and omitting D1?
2. According to the "Power Options" notes for a One Spot adapter, I omit entirely C22 and D1, no jumpers, just empty slots on the PCB.
3. The One Spot is a 9v adapter, so do I need to install the BOM parts highlighted in blue, or does that not apply in the case of a One Spot power supply? Item 2 above has me deleting C22, which is one of the blue highlighted BOM parts. That's the only part in the instructions that has me a little confused. Any clarification on this greatly appreciated, sorry for my noobish confusion.

Ordered my PCB, can't wait to get started!

Gilmourisgod

Anybody out there who's built a Harbinger able to clear my head on this one? I've read several build reports from people saying they built 9v versions using One Spot, didn't even use the filter PCB. Am I the only one a little confused by the build docs for a 9v One Spot? Somebody toss me a crumb on this?

Guitarmageddon

Gilmour, with respect, just build it and if it doesn't work...ask questions then. There's a lot of parts, but it's pretty straightforward really.
Read the instructions, re-read them, put the parts in where they're numbered to go, wire it up and test it- you can't really go wrong.
The thing needs either 9v or 18v, depending on what you have. You can use the filter board or not. I'd suggest using it, why not?
I remember your lengthy Forum Vibe thread at BYOC. You got that working in the end, this should be a walk in the park.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Gilmourisgod

Ok, I'll shut up, build it as I understand the instructions, and see what happens.

Guitarmageddon

Whatever happens, post it in a build report! ;) 8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com